How can I fish cable through existing sheetrock/wall boxes?

Old 05-15-05, 12:41 AM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
How can I fish cable through existing sheetrock/wall boxes?

Please take the time to read my long post, as my post will help you visualize exactly my problem. My grammar is pretty good so bear with me.

The telephone wiring in our house is totally messed up, multiple intermittant breaks all throughout the house. The phone is up/down throughout the day all the time.

I don't want to break down the sheetrock in our house to put in new phone cable, however, because I don't have the skills/money to put new sheetrock up. I need to be able to fish phoneline through the "wall box" up in to the attic. This includes outer walls that have THICK insulation.

Is there a trick-of-the-trade that can be done to fish cable up a wall to the attic through a wall/outlet box?

Either that, or is it possible to cut a hole in the wall (the size of an outlet box) then get the cable down, and then put an outlet box in the wall in the hole?

NOTE: There is no basement that could help me out (if it'd be easier). I've got concrete foundation.

If someone could shed some light on what I need to do to get my job accomplished, I'd be VERY greatful!

Thank you
Jonathan

Last edited by jon_k; 05-15-05 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do it all the time.. if your existing I/W (telephone wire) is coming up into the attic you can use it to pull the new I/W in.. or, just drill out the side away from the stud in the wall box about and 1" or so.. drill down from the attic plate into the area between the studs that have the existing wall box that your shooting for.. tie a bolt or something that will fit through the hole onto the I/W and drop away.. then just fish it out the box hole with a hooked wire.. normally all interior walls are not insulated and its a straight drop down.. to find where to drill from above, just use a coat hanger straightened out and push it through the ceiling just above the box. you can fill the tiny hole when your finished with any good white toothpaste.. on walls that are insulated, I just tape the I/W onto a fish tape and push it down the hole using the stud as a guide to send it down near the box, then fish around, catch the I/W and wa la.. they do have wall boxes that you can cut in, but why add boxes if you can re-use the old... if an inch isn't big enough, cut out more of the box, doesn't matter what the back of that box looks like, you'll have a wall plate on it anyway..

Old 05-18-05, 11:39 PM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
Which tool would you suggest to cut out of the back of the box? I don't think a jigsaw would be appropriate.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-05, 08:17 PM
I use a drill.. is your wall box metal or plastic.. also, I usually go through the side away from the stud.. rather than the back.. sometimes theres not much room behind the box if its a deep one.. and its easier to fish the wire out from the side..

Old 05-19-05, 08:29 PM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
Yeah, I have plastic ones. They're about an 2 inches, 2 1/2 deep... they aren't too deep.

So just get a pretty large drillbit and drill holes until you get one large one? I think I'll try it.

Old 06-16-05, 08:40 PM
Brett_Griffin
Visiting Guest
If you havent finished this yet, I would recommend checking out Labor Saving Devices website. http://www.lsdinc.com/

They have got a lot of cool tools, plus they have on their website tutorials on how to do exactly what you are having problems with.

The tools arent cheap but are worth their weight in gold. I wish I knew about their products when I had my install business back in 2000.

Old 06-17-05, 04:05 PM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
That's pretty neat, definitely helpful. We aren't going to do this until winter where it's safe to get in the attic (texas heat = severe dehydration in an attic ;-)

Thanks for your link. Great resource ;-)

Old 06-17-05, 10:55 PM
like I say, interior walls aren't usually insulated, so getting down to the box is simple, even if you have to tie a weight on the I/W and drop it down.. then hook it with a coat hanger to pull it into the hole in the box you drilled.. haven't found one that I couldn't fish in some way or another.. and I don't use those expensive tools.. just drill, bit, and some sort of a weight.. (bolt or something.)...

Old 10-12-05, 01:38 PM
tundrafiend01
Visiting Guest
Two-Story House

I have installed several wall drops in 1-story dwellings, but a business opportunity has arisen dealing with a two-story house. The current setup is extremely insecure (business run from home) with wireless access. The cable modem and wireless router are both located upstairs. The computers downstairs have severe connection issues via wireless (15-30% packet loss). I plan on hardwiring the two business computers (both located upstairs), and running four drops downstairs (3 for the computers and 1 for a wireless access point). My question: Is there anything special I need to worry about when installing the downstairs drops, or should it be similar to the drops in one-story dwellings? If so, any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-05, 08:36 PM
Run the cabling in a plumbing chase if you can, or possibly in a closet.