Standby generators generac

Old 05-31-05, 07:54 AM
Standby generators generac

I'm installing a standby generator in a newly built Florida home I'm on the fence about the 7Kw or the 12Kw. I'm not looking to power everything just 2-Refigerators TV and some lights. Possibly a 6000Btu window A/C any thoughts/recommendations will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-05, 10:45 AM
I'm not an electrical expert,

but I've always thought that bigger is better!!-unless the price difference between the two sizes is astronomical, I'd go with the 12 KW. Also, the 12KW will give you a little growing room, if you decide to add some extra devices later, the generator will be able to handle it.
Check the window A/C unit carefully, some of these are 220V and some are 120V. You'll need to make sure that the generator can supply enough 220V and 120V at the same time for everything you want to power.

I'd also put this on the electrical forum here, there's a lot of knowlegable people who hang out there as well! http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Hope this helped!!

Old 06-24-05, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
I would go for the larger unit. If you restrict the use of other items you may be able to run your AC which can be very welcome after several days of hot and humid.