Internet accessible thermostat?

Old 01-01-06, 09:06 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Internet accessible thermostat?

Hi All,

For a few years, I've been hoping for a thermostat that I can manage remotely. My dream thermostat would have the following:

* web-accessible, via the Internet (always on at our house with static-IP). Embedded HTTPD?
* wireless 802.11 -- I don't want to pull cables from the thermostat to a switch.
* no external controller box -- I don't want an X-10 system and the cost, complexity, etc. that goes with it.

Barring such a device, I'll probably just buy a nice programmable one, but they're really expensive, and I figure the device I've described above couldn't cost much more if someone actually built such a thing.

Any pointers to something such as I've described would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris-

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-06, 05:19 PM
A
I suspect it does not exist yet, but hopefully someone will prove me wrong, because I'd like one too.

This zone controller has an RS-485 interface.
http://www.smarthome.com/30952.html
Maybe you could get a 'black box' to turn the RS-485 into Ethernet. I realize that's not the simple solution you seek but I am looking into it for my zoned system.

Old 01-12-06, 06:54 PM
A
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, there are many automation controllers (like the Elk or HAI) and software packages (like HAL, HomeSeer, Indigo) that will give you this web access to your thermostats (need to put new tstats in for this too).

-Martin

Member is Banned - Forum Policy Violation - Business Names cannot be used as a Registered Member Name

Doug Aleshire
Super Moderator 2

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 01-12-06 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 05:17 PM
C
Check out

http://www.smarthome.com/3054t.html

That is likely what you want.

It connects over the network, but is programmed over the company's website. Likely, the thermostat polls the website and checks your secure settings for changes.
My TiVo DVR works that way, for its online programming feature.

Old 02-01-06, 10:01 AM
stevedave66
Visiting Guest
check out Prolifix'

Old 01-26-08, 06:58 AM
R
I am looking into one of these ( Proliphix.com ) for a vacation rental property that I own . There is already a wireless network there . I would like for the IP thermostat to work off the wireless network .

Old 03-31-09, 02:51 PM
D
I installed 3 of the Prolipix thermostats 5 months ago here at work, and now I can schedule the heat to come on and turn off a year in advance. I can also turn it on and off from my office, at home and soon from the Blackberry. I know this is an old thread but you gotta love technology huh?

Old 04-01-09, 04:53 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deej View Post
I know this is an old thread but you gotta love technology huh?
Yeah, when it works.

I've been playing with a Calypso Control ION LT2. It has an ethernet spigot and serves web pages over the network to control any number of IR devices plus two RS232 ports plus two hard-wired relays. Nice little gizmo for the price.

Old 11-19-09, 09:19 AM
T
Smile Internet Thermostat

I just installed a BayWeb Internet Thermostat from this site:

http://www.diycontrols.com/index.php?cPath=149_156_240

I really like it so far. I can log on to the BayWeb website from anywhere (even my Blackberry) to view and control the temperature. It will email me if the temperature gets too cold (meaning my furnace died). It will also email me if there is water in my basement because I hooked up a wired water sensor (called a waterbug) to it. And I have wireless motion sensors for it that I can use either for occupancy-based heating (only heating when someone is physically there) or for security alerts.

This was easy to install because I just used the wireless bridge kit (also from above site) to extend my wired network into the basement (for the BayWeb module) without physically running wires.

I think the BayWeb thermostat offers a lot of features for the money. I looked at the Proliphix but would have had to run wires up the wall to the thermostat in that case, and the web portal wasn't as robust (no extra alerting capabilities). The BayWeb module (the part that the ethernet goes to) installs in the basement so I have no visible wires going to the thermostat. The thermostat was a direct swap with my old one.

Old 02-11-10, 01:23 PM
G
Radio Thermostat

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with Radio Thermostat CT30 and or CT80. They are WiFi. I am trying to get some info from the manufacturer but would be nice to find some info from a user.

Thanks

Juan

Old 11-26-10, 07:51 AM
Hi

Is there anything like the bayweb thermostat with NO need to access the manufactuers web site to control my home heating.?

It seems the Proliphix may do this but I'd like a more generic cheaper solution if possible ..
I just don't want big brother making me pay to adjust my own house temperate like cable vision ...
hope you understand ie no dalton zone here

What I want is like a wireless router device with a web interface built in and only me to alter my hvac operation like I like not the way Dalton sets it up

thanks

Last edited by geoimpala; 11-26-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-29-10, 07:40 AM
D
Home Depot and Radio Thermostat

I just got my WiFi - Internet controlled thermostat at Home Depot (Filtrete WiFi Enabled Programmable Thermostat - 3M-50 at The Home Depot ). It looks like the same one that is available at RADIO THERMOSTAT Welcome. Set up was pretty easy, and I have really enjoyed having remote control of my thermostat.

I have been able to use my iPhone to turn off my heat when I was coming home late. I'm sure this investment will pay for itself by the end of the winter.

Old 11-29-10, 08:55 AM
A
Originally Posted by dan4312 View Post
I just got my WiFi - Internet controlled thermostat at Home Depot (Filtrete WiFi Enabled Programmable Thermostat - 3M-50 at The Home Depot ). It looks like the same one that is available at RADIO THERMOSTAT Welcome. Set up was pretty easy, and I have really enjoyed having remote control of my thermostat.

I have been able to use my iPhone to turn off my heat when I was coming home late. I'm sure this investment will pay for itself by the end of the winter.
This looks promising. The website says they expect to release APIs in Q1 2011, but for now web interface must be via their hosted service.

The hosted service is free, and they say the "basic" service will remain free but they expect to offer additional services for a fee.

The iPhone app is free.

Ultimately, I'd like to use an iPhone app to communicate directly with the stat using my DynDNS URL. But if the hosted service is free, there's little advantage to this.

My concerns would be:

1. If the product is discontinued, they may no longer support the hosted service, making this just a pretty addition.

2. If power and stat wiring are required to operate, there's not much advantage to WiFi over wired Ethernet. That is, many people would have to modify their wiring anyway, and I'd prefer the reliability and simplicity of wired Ethernet rather than WiFi. I've had WiFi situations where I could have installed a cable to the device faster than entering the SSID, key, setting WPA or WPA2, TKIP, AES, etc.

3. I have a zoned system so I could probably connect these to my zone controller. But my problem is that with a 2-stage furnace, I can't get the level of control I'd like from my existing zone controller. It would be great to have an Ethernet-wired zone controller and fallback master stat at the furnace, and WiFi stats that I could locate in any room. Then I could install dampers as needed on individual ducts in the basement, but avoid having to wire stats in rooms. I could just plug the stat into a 24V transformer and that's it.

Old 12-04-10, 01:12 PM
R
ArgMeMatey - Good points . Hopefully the Filtrete 3M-50 model will be a success and HD will makes sure that they keep customers satisfied .

I wonder how reliable this new generation of network thermostats are (Filtrete , Bayweb vs Proliphix) ?

Old 12-06-10, 03:48 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Internet accessable

I am also looking for something similar to these ideas. I now have a camera with a web address that looks out at my property through a window and also sees an indoor thermometer so that if the room temp drops below the set point, I can call someone to check it out. But I would like to have more devices [toys] to check for fire or floods, etc.
Sid

Old 12-31-10, 09:34 PM
M
3M 50 at Home Depot

I got one of these... They are not discontinued, they are new... just in some Home Depots today. All Home Depots by January 2011. That is what the Home Depot 800 number said.

The are 3M with a five year warranty seems like a safe bet

Old 01-01-11, 06:59 AM
A
Originally Posted by mitnomis View Post
I got one of these... They are not discontinued, they are new... just in some Home Depots today. All Home Depots by January 2011. That is what the Home Depot 800 number said.

The are 3M with a five year warranty seems like a safe bet
I bought one of the 3M50 and returned it unopened because I don't like the manual fan switching. Ideally they would offer a programmable fan option, like my current thermostats have, but even the CT80 does not offer that. However the CT80 offers a fan up to 9 minutes per hour. That still seems lame to me.

After going back and looking at Ecobee etc. I figured no one comes close to this price point and feature list of the radio thermostats. So to get a programmable fan, I am planning to replace my zone controller and use an older stat with programmable fan to handle the fan for all zones. I will use the CT80 for one zone and see how it works.

Old 08-15-11, 04:44 PM
K
I have been looking for network (IP) thermostats for the last 5 years, I checked out and demo ed them all and finally bought Bayweb. Its a great thermostat easy to use and the best value out there. I bought 125 of them for a school system. I had a mix of applications, single stage, 2 stage, heat pumps, rooftops, etc. They worked great for all applications. Easy to install and setup. I also installed motion sensing on most all of them. I liked them so much I bought one for my own house.

Old 01-02-12, 07:10 AM
Z
Are there any programmable thermostats that I can control myself without having to log into a company website? I am not opposed to any technology including running wires. Right now I have a 2-zone heating system with Ritetemp (programmable thermostat) and I really like the following features which I would like to still access:

Have 4 different time periods per day with 4 different temperatures. The weekdays have the same settings and the weekends have different settings.
If I arrive home before the heater goes on I can manually increase the temperature and it will re-set itself once it gets to the next scheduled time period so I do not have to remember to set it back later.
I can use a 2nd stored program for vacations/holidays without altering the other saved program and can easily switch between these 2.

Basically what I would like to add to these 2 thermostats would be the ability to change the program using the Internet and also to be able to record data. In the future it would also be nice to control my home computer remotely (so if the same technology could facilitate this would be nice) but security would be the primary concern. What are my options?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-12, 06:22 AM
S
I have noticed a recent influx of internet thermostats. Still quite expensive but they are getting better.

Whilist running wires will probably provide a better solution in terms of reliability, the wireless ones are more likely as they will be easier to retrofit.

There is some information about room thermostats on the web including internet room thermostats.

There is a nice looking heatmiser one that you control directly, but this sort of setup is a lot more complex as you need to configure your router.
Not neccessarily a problem, but you do restrict your choice, as control through a company website will is easier to setup and use for the less technically minded.

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 04-05-12 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Removed URLs. Links to commercial sites are not allowed
Old 04-26-12, 10:48 AM
Old 05-03-12, 09:50 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Maybe I'm getting old, but I can't see functions of a internet accessable t-stat being worth the cost.
Generally programmable t-stats are a device you set and forget.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I can't see the cool factor justifying the cost. It's not like it'd be something you would show off to friends or anything.

Old 05-03-12, 10:18 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I tend to agree with you, Mike. In my previous home I tried several "home automation" tricks and came to the conclusion that for the average or smaller sized home automation was more of a "Lookit what I got" than any kind of real asset.

I did have a somewhat flexible work schedule back then so I installed a dual setpoint thermostat that allowed for using an external signal to switch from the unoccupied temperature to the occupied temperature. It worked well connected to a telephone device that allowed me to call before leaving work and raise the temperature setting so that the house was warm by the time I got home. If I was delayed at work I simply delayed calling and thereby delayed the furnace from firing. Did I save any money in the long run over just having a regular programmable thermostat? I doubt it.

When I moved to my current home I didn't have to think for more than a few minutes to realize that doing even the simple things I had done at the previous home would have no economic payback nor would they increase my comfort enough to justify the cost. Sure, being able to turn off every light in the house and turn the furnace temperature setting down by pushing one switch next to my bed was neat but since I have to walk past the light switches and thermostat on my way to bed (in the newer house) it just plain wasn't worth the hassle.

Others are certainly entitled to their own opinion.

Old 05-03-12, 11:52 AM
N
Furd,
You brought up a good point. I can see how irregular schedules or regularly being away for multiple days would make this a value added item. I don't know of any t-stats on the market that would allow for setting a return date and time.

It also reminded me of my internet based coffee maker I built and used in college back in 2000. I use to go home once or twice a month for the weekend (~4hour greyhound ride) and setup a quick web interface that would insert a scheduled task on my computer for 4.5hours from when I accessed the interface. The scheduled task was to send the signal out the serial port of my computer (triggering a relay) that would turn on my pre-loaded coffee maker.
This was back before most people owned a cell phone.
Anyway, that was totally off topic.

Old 05-03-12, 12:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My former in-laws have a thermostat they can control on their lake place. They leave the winter temperature inside at about 55 but can call when they're leaving to head up there to turn the heat back up to occupied temperatures.

In this case, it's a nice idea since waiting for the furnace to heat the place up on a cold winter day is the opposite of fun if you're there for it.

Old 05-03-12, 12:32 PM
N
mitch17,
That makes good sense.
I sure wish we had that in the old camp. Going out there for the weekend in the dead of winter meant builting a hard burining fire to get it from -20'C to tollerable.

Old 05-03-12, 12:50 PM
F
Using a remotely changeable thermostat in a weekend or vacation home is definitely a sensible "home automation" device in my opinion. I probably wouldn't use the Internet as there are many other ways to accomplish the task at a lower cost. I'd probably hack a cheap "pay as you go" cell phone if the location had cellular coverage.

Old 05-17-12, 09:44 PM
A
google 'nest thermostats' .. just amazing

Old 06-07-12, 02:24 PM
P
It sounds like the perfect thermostat for what I need,
I work in a office where some people tend to leave the thermostat on after they leave the building and it costs us tons of money,
Does anybody know if I can get an alert by email like after 7:00 pm if the thermostat is set for cool 68 etc.

Old 06-07-12, 04:47 PM
F
Given enough money most things are possible. How much are you willing to spend?

Installing a programmable master thermostat that would override the user-adjustable thermostat would likely be the least expensive alternative if you need a user adjustable one AND also need to ensure that the heating/cooling system goes into a night mode at a specific time.

OR, just a programmable thermostat set for the normal office hours with a timer bypass that would only work for an hour or so per manual intervention. Heck, many residential thermostats have short term manual override capability.

Old 06-07-12, 06:53 PM
P
Thanks Furd, but I would definitely want something that I can check in from my android and adjust it remotely.

Old 06-29-12, 04:58 PM
N