Newbie on DSL, ... Only one Single Jack can handle?

Old 01-31-06, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie on DSL, ... Only one Single Jack can handle?

Hi;
The order of my DSL coming any time, soon. However, my concern over this is that my house has only "one phone line with a single jack," although there are three telephone lines equipped with three different rooms on the same floor.

Currently, my 'Dial-up' has NO problem hooking up with only one telephone line(jack) by using Outlet Adapter. One single jack sharing both computer/Internet and telephone with answering machine.

Only thing over which I concern is my telephone line with single jack. We are hooking up 'telephone/ordinary' and three computers and fax machine by using four outlet Adapter(Plug four 1,2 or 3-line devices into a single jack).

My worry is also, ... 'Copper phone line' that Verizon mentioned, ...
What does it mean?

Also, for 'DSL,' ... do I need to install another phone line?
It seems to me that only one phone line with single jack in my house is NOT enough to handle both telephone(ordinary) and DSL in regard to 'performance' and all other necessities.

Thanks for any help you could offer on this,...can "DSL" capable by using only one telephone line with Single Jack?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 10:05 AM
stevedave66
Visiting Guest
I have DSL with one phone line, and the wire coming into the house is the old CAT3 and I have no problems. I have a 4 port wireless router with 3 computers. You MAY need DSL filters in line just before any phone to eliminate noise.

Old 02-01-06, 11:00 AM
Red face Thanks, ... as to Filter/noise and etc. due to DSL

Hi:
I really appreciate your response.

The DSL kit will arrive anytime soon. My family needs to use three computers same time after coming home during nights. Then, we all look forward to getting DSL set-up ASAP.

The DSK kit(one package by USP) has following;
(1) DSL Resource Guide
(2) DSL Install CD DSL Terms of Service
(3) Online DSL Dual Filter Kit
(4) Modem (I need to pay for this after one-month trial ends)

My question is, ...
(1) do I need a 'Filter' about which you mentioned, above?
Because, we use telephone often, even oversea/international
call, then we do NOT like to get 'noise' caused by installation of DSL.

(2) What does "CAT3" mean?
When I looked outside my house, there are three black(thick) wires(must be 'live,' not to touch, ...)coming into the attic. Also, below the 'three' fat-black wires, there are 'two' more, ... one is Comcast Guy installed when we got a cable(but, I'm not sure, ...). The other mid-size black wire, I have no hint what is for,...). Those two Medium-size Balck Wires are attached to the house, about 1.5 - 2 ft. below the attic. Then, there are altogether five(5) black wires coming into the house from telephone pole(wood) which is located in front of my house.

Even though our house is old, but there has been NO any problem regarding 'fuse blown-up' and etc.
However, one thing over which I concern is 'Single jJck' with one telephone line.

Old 02-01-06, 09:15 PM
You need a DSL filter for each device that connects to the phone line (or each jack), except the DSL modem, or a whole home DSL filter, which goes to all jacks except for the modem, all regardless how often or sparsely you use each device.

In laymans terms, Cat-3 is multipair twisted-pair cable for telephone lines.
Cat5/5e/6 are higher end versions for networking (but can be used for telephone also, but not at the same time).

One (sometimes two) of those cables is your cable TV, the other your telephone. Each will go to a demarc point in your home, where your inside wiring connects to.

Old 03-15-06, 11:51 AM
PineCone, There are many different ways to deliver DSL, but it sounds like you are getting one of the most common. Your single phone line and jack will work fine for what you need. You will connect the filter to the phone jack. The filter should supply a phone out connection and a DSL out connection. The phone connection goes to your phone/answering machine (you may also connect your adapter here to give multiple phone connections if still needed) and the DSL connection goes to the DSL modem. The DSL modem will either have connections for multiple PC's or a single connection that you will need to connect to a switch or hub in order to share with all 3 PC's. Any store that stocks PC supplies (CompUSA, Office Depot, Wal-Mart...) will be able to sell you a small (3-5 port) switch or hub, (a switch is preferable) for under $50 if your DSL modem only accommodates a single connection.

Hope this helps.

Doug M.

Old 03-15-06, 05:41 PM
do what doug says, i have the same setup in my home, one line goes to the dsl modem, then goes into a 4 port router, where i'm able to network all the computers in my home(3) to access the net at the same time and still be able to use the phone and fax machine(which i don't use anymore,since i use the all in one printer/scanner/copier/ machine and it's software). make sure that there is a filter at every phone jack in the house that is being used by anything(phone,fax machine etc.) else.to make your life a heck of a lot easier, some dsl providers will sell you a router that is compatible with their modem, and setup your network. i messed with mine for nearly 5 days till i got them all working using a router they didn't recommend (but mine is far superior than the one they wanted to sell me). make sure that every computer that is set up on the network has up to date antivirus software and a software fire wall and keep it all updated, (the router at least, most, acts as a hardware firewall).
hope this helps a little. don't worry, one little phone line can accommodate all your needs.

barry

Old 03-20-06, 09:20 AM
One other consideration is that you will need to connect all three of your computers to your modem. As was noted, this is best done with a router/switch, but there is also the issue of connecting the computers to the switch. (The need for the router rather than a simple switch is because you need a local device to assign individual IP addresses to each computer and make it appear to the modem - and your ISP - that you have a single machine.) You will either need to run Cat5/5e/6 wire from the router to each of the computers (you cannot "daisy chain" like you can with telephone - each line must be a "home run" all the way back to the switch) or you will need to consider a wireless access point/router. Wireless networks are slightly more complex to install, cost a little more, require a little patience to configure/secure, and have slower connection speeds. Wired networks are easier, cheaper, faster, and more secure, but require running wires.

Another consideration that just occurred to me - before your trial period runs out, be sure to run a bandwidth test using one of the many bandwidth test websites available. I went through a long period of slow DSL service (I'm right at the maximum physical distance) and finally gave up and now use cable. Compare what services are available in your area. DSL works great where it works great - but can be problematic sometimes.

Old 04-04-06, 09:37 AM
I would say use a Wireless network if you can spend the extra money. Following the instructions in the box are pretty simple and you can safely secure it without worry. You don't have to worry about running LAN line and if you want to take the laptop into the backyard you can. The speed of a wireless network should not be an issue unless you are using running a huge data warehouse or web server on a massive connection. With DSL you should never notice a speed issue on your router side whether wired or wireless.

Old 04-04-06, 11:47 AM
Other than multi-computer Internet access, one of my primary uses of the home network is for periodic backup. One of the machines has a large drive installed that we use for backup/archive. Running these backups, even for data only, can require the transmission of 10-30GB of data. The difference between wired and wireless in this case is a 1-2 hour backup (assuming you're running a 100mb network) vs. a 10-20 hour backup.

If you use stand-alone (e.g., USB) drives for backup, then this is a non-issue - but the drive must be specifically connected to the machine being backed up or you're right back to the network speed limitation.