Running Household Wiring

Old 02-25-06, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running Household Wiring

I've got a relatively new (built 2004) home in south florida. I just got dish tv and the receiver needs to be connected to a phone outlet or they charge you an extra monthly fee (for what I don't know). Anyway the house has the usual phone jacks in all the bedrooms and the kitchen but none in the living room. The nearest phone jack is 20 ft away. In the master bedroom I did find several extra phone cables for upgrading. The only problem is I can't figure out how to snake the new cable into the wall in the living room. I have a very small crawl space above the house but I don't fit in it. The access door for it is on the other side of the house and I've tried crawling through with no success. It's just too tight. So am I SOL? Anybody got any tips? Thanks.....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 12:09 PM
Treetop
Visiting Guest
Another option that is available are the wireless phone jacks:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

I only linked to amazon so you can see them... You can purchase these units locally at Lowe's/Home Depot, Radio Shack, etc

I used these back in the day for my tivo unit without any problems.

Old 02-26-06, 06:07 PM
It depends on the house, but sometimes it is possible to tuck a wire in underneath the carpet. The tack strip is generally a little bit away from the wall making room for a telephone wire.

Sounds like your crawlspace is to low, but is their access from above? A attic or maybe a telephone jack in the room above. All you would need to do is fish the wall in that case.

Old 03-04-06, 05:54 AM
Yeah the crawl space is way to small. Plus it's got a lot of ribs for structure so it's not clear. The phone jacks would have to come from up above. That is how they are run. I have tile in half house and carpet in the bedrooms. I'll check into the wireless phone jacks. Thanks guys.....

Old 03-04-06, 09:37 PM
Wink

my directv has been disconnected from the phone jack for years. They have not charged me extra, even though they think it's plugged in - food for thought.

Old 03-06-06, 04:30 PM
Dish is different, on certain receivers, they will ding you for it not phoning home (something like their DVR or dual head receivers).