New to home automation and have a few questions

Old 02-27-06, 08:23 PM
New to home automation and have a few questions

First off, let me say thank you for hosting this forum. I have looked all over and I am so confused and was desperate to find a place to ask a few questions.

First off, some background on me as this is my first post. I am a computer tech from the Houston, TX area. My wife and I are planning on building our own home in the next 2 years, and plan to live there for many years. The result, I want some cool toys and gadgets throughout the whole house.

I used to run low voltage cable for a living, so I am familiar with its standards, but I only did ethernet cabling in CAT5E. I am the kind of person who has to have a plan for everything, so I am looking ahead a few months before we even look to start on a new house so I can get an idea what I need to buy and what cabling needs to be run so I can keep an eye out for some deals.

Here is what I am looking at:
7" touch screens in 6 different locations (kitchen, MBR downstairs, 2x upstairs bedrooms, upstairs game room, downstairs living area/dining room)

From these touchscreens I want to:
Control 2 different HVAC zones (one upstairs, one down)
Display a camera to see who is at the door
Control/dim lighting in the area where the screen is (ie control MBR lighting from MBR touch screen)
Control a basic security system from every touchscreen
Weather display on every touchscreen
Control phone by monitoring caller ID and turning on/off ringers from touchscreen
Control whole house audio system speakers in the room it is located much like lighting
Ability to control everything from the internet at the office

Wow, now that I write it all down, it sounds like I am asking for a miracle. Is there one system that can do all this? I have a server I plan on dedicating to the whole system, but I just don't know where to start and what software/hardware to look at. Any help would be awesome.

Again, glad to be here and thank you for sponsoring this wonderful resource.

James

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 11:04 AM
Looking quick I could find the HAI Omnitouch Video, for the touch display, and the Omni controller.

Old 03-01-06, 11:25 AM
You can do it with Allen Bradley equipment, but it's expensive. I'm not sure about adding the phone options. And you will need to learn the software for desiging the screens on the touchscreens, so that you can expand or upgrade. You really don't want to pay a programer every time you add another ceiling fan or lamp.

Nashcat