Generator--LP BTUs--not sure about LP piping

Old 03-02-06, 04:44 PM
marylou
Visiting Guest
Question Generator--LP BTUs--not sure about LP piping

My HVAC contractor and I have been discussing adding a whole house generator that uses LP but the basic 15kw unit I have been looking at requires 220,000 BTUs. The HVAC contractor was surprised by the large number and wondered about the connection and how the flow is "controlled?" I have been reading about the generators but haven't found any info about how the generator works especially when we will have the same LP source for a gas furnance, gas dryer, and gas cooktop. Anyone with info--please explain how this should be set up.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-06, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
marylou,

How you set up a generator lp gas piping system is with the total gas load for everything you want to operate.
You have to size up the system right back to and including the tank.
I would suggest that the person you are talking to might not be the right one.
You need a licensed fitter to do this work and ensure the piping and tank can handle the load.

Is this HVAC contractor trying to sell it to you?

Old 03-03-06, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
The generator you are considering will consume about 2.3 gallons of propane per hour at full load so make sure your tank holds enough to get you through the power outtage.
----
As a side note you can see how inefficient an engine can be. Your furnace may put 90%+ of the heat from the propane into your house, but a small generator is only able to convert about 20-25% to something usefull. If your generator were as efficient as your furnace you might get about 58kw out of the same amount of propane.