Whole house lighting controls

Old 03-29-06, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Whole house lighting controls

I am building my own house and have done all my own wiring. I want to install (or have professionally installed) a whole house wiring system. I like the concept of the Lutron Homeworks system. Can anyone tell me if it can be installed (no sheetrock yet) to a normally wired house or does it require a different wiring system. I know it needs low volt cable to control the switches, etc, but do I need to wire the 120V differently??

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-06, 04:35 PM
Home Automation

To try to avoid some problems with the inspections, there is a product by HAI www.homeauto.com, you will have to wire your security devices like motion sensors, door contacts, keypads and use a CAT V wire for the thermostats. If you want to have access via the internet or to call the system remotely you also must run a phone or ethernet line to the panel location. Home automation requires the installation of specific switches. A hint that can help you is that if a device is controlled by a switch, most home automation panels can operated it. HAI's product is a line carrier panel. Which means that it looks for the switch over the homes existing wiring.

Old 11-06-06, 01:56 PM
Reviving an old post...

I am guessing by the date of the post that you are past the point of wiring for lighting control? But I will answer it anyway, just in case.

If you want to do a 'wired' lighting control solution, normally we have the electricians home run all the loads to the Lutron or Vantage cans, and then we run the control wire to the keypad locations. You can also get dimmers that have the 120V wiring as well as the BUS (low/vo) wiring if you don't want to home run everything.

You can get a 'wireless' control system, which can be installed after the house is complete, using traditional 120V wiring scheme. The wireless systems do work well, we have installed them in 17-20k squareft homes, with concrete walls and floors.

Hope that helps!