Remote switching

Old 05-02-06, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote switching

I want to control two or three outside lights that are wired to switches in the garage (lower floor). The controls need to be in the entry of the home (upper floor). Hard wired switch loops are not practical. I'd like to do it with home automation devices in the simplest configuration possible. What do I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-06, 05:53 PM
Cheapest might be X10. You replace the switches for those lights with X-10 switches, then use a plug-in or wire in controller to turn them on and off.

Old 05-19-06, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by senor-mouse
I want to control two or three outside lights that are wired to switches in the garage (lower floor). The controls need to be in the entry of the home (upper floor). Hard wired switch loops are not practical. I'd like to do it with home automation devices in the simplest configuration possible. What do I need?
You could use wireless controls. Using socket rockets for the lamps, in combination with a lamp module. Add a wireless switch or remote if you like. Many home automation companies offer this kinda stuff.

Check: http://www.x10minitimer.com/all_packages.html

Scroll down the page, they offer indoor and outdoor lighting packages.

Old 06-25-06, 04:44 AM
remote switching

I did your same thing using a garage door opener receiver and transmitter. All the items needed were in my junkbox. The receiver gets its 24Vac input from a furnace control xfmr. The receiver switches a relay for the lights. The remote sits on a shelf in the foyer. Simple

Old 06-26-06, 09:39 AM
Insteon

You might consider Insteon products from SmartHome (www.smarthome.com). They are backward-compatible with X10, and, from what I have read, are quicker to switch and more reliable.

About eight months ago, we had a new garage addition put on our house. That added some new exterior lights switched in locations near the new addition. I wanted to be able to control all the exterior lights from the front door. So my scenario was very similar.

I changed the switch for the front lights to a KeypadLinc v2 in a six-button configuration, which I use to be able to address each of the front lights individually (or with a common button that turns them all on/off as a "scene"). Then, I put ICON (a lower-cost, but nearly as capable, Insteon product from SmartHome) switches (not dimmers, because I had some fluorescent lighting that was not dimmable) on the other exterior lights. Each of these is remotely addressable with the KeypadLinc.

There are lots of combinations that you can use depending on your scenario...any individual switch can turn on all lights, etc. They can be cross-linked in many different ways, and it's an easy process. Best of all, other than the KeypadLinc, these switches aren't much more expensive than your run-of-the-mill dimmer switches -- at least, they weren't when I bought them...I think the prices have gone up slightly.

I haven't had any reliability issues and would recommend these in your situation.