Automatic screen system

Old 07-27-06, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Automatic screen system

Im trying to create a motorized screen system where by flipping a switch down, the motor will spin one way causing the motor to turn the spindle, unrolling the screen a set distance and stopping, and flipping the switch up will cause the motor to turn the spindle the opposite direction, rolling it up then stoping. i was thinking of using a simple toggle switch with a stepper motor attached to a piece of pipe. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 08:15 AM
A stepper motor would work, although it might have to be connected to a small gearbox to get the required torque to roll up the screen. Often, these motors will come with an attached gear reduction unit. You will need a decicated controller for the motor that will need to be programmed for the speed and end points (distance) of the travel. I deal with these at work, and most of the units are quite expensive, but you can probably find a hobby grade control and motor that can be modified to fit your need. A Google search for hobby stepper motors should get you started in the right direction.

Nashcat

Old 08-06-06, 06:35 PM
If you are building it from scratch, I'd use a reversable AC gear motor, and include a further gear reducer to drive a threaded rod with a nut to actuate limit switches, and supply the switches with a 3-way (SPDT) toggle switch.

Old 08-19-06, 01:35 PM
Treetop
Visiting Guest
Lots of different ways to do this...

You can find a lot of good discussion at http://www.thisisnotallowed.

You will have to search for the threads that talk about doing just this, but it should give you several ideas along with some pitfalls that you may run into.

Moderator's Note:

Posts and/or Forum Private Messages containing any type of content which provides compensation by any means and/or method through any affiliate programs, ads, advertisements, sales, referrals, solicitations, redirects, chain letters, contests, personal web sites and or pyramid schemes, etc, are all prohibited.

Please make note of our Forum Policies.

EDIT: Huh? it was a link to a DIY sub-forum... While I see the reason being "Directing others to other forums is not allowed," if the forum in question is related to DIY and of some Technical help, wouldn't there be exceptions? Regardless, its your forums and your rules, so I will play nice

Last edited by Treetop; 08-19-06 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Directing others to other forums is not allowed.
Old 08-19-06, 03:58 PM
Treetop,
DoItYourself.com does not have subforums. All questions and answers are discussed here in the open Forums. The site you referred to is in no way associated with DIY.com. That makes it a violation of our rules to refer members to that Forum site. Hope this explains it.

Old 08-20-06, 01:21 AM
Treetop
Visiting Guest
"it was a link to a DIY sub-forum" ...
"DoItYourself.com does not have subforums." ...

Sorry for the confususion there... when I said "DIY", I meant it was a forum for "Do-it-yourself'ers".. not this particular site. It was a "Sub" forum on a different site... that particular part of the site, that I linked to, had to do with DIY Projector screens... which I thought may be helpful to the original poster of the thread.

"All questions and answers are discussed here in the open Forums. The site you referred to is in no way associated with DIY.com. That makes it a violation of our rules to refer members to that Forum site."

Open forums?..possibly, but I don't see how my pointing a DIY'er to another forum, which may or may not provide him/her with information, is a bad thing. Open forum?

"The site you referred to is in no way associated with DIY.com"
But it did have a wealth of information that might be helpful to the OP...

There are many other sites out there filled with information that cannot be found here. And now you are telling me that, even though I know of a place that has some great information for someone and their project, I can't tell them about it?

Fair enough... As I say, your forums, your rules...
Or is that what you said?

Regardless, I feel that I am not wanted here, so I will take what little I know about nothing with me....

Take Care,
Treetop

Last edited by Treetop; 08-20-06 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-23-06, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by rhardenbrook198
Im trying to create a motorized screen system where by flipping a switch down, the motor will spin one way causing the motor to turn the spindle, unrolling the screen a set distance and stopping, and flipping the switch up will cause the motor to turn the spindle the opposite direction, rolling it up then stoping. i was thinking of using a simple toggle switch with a stepper motor attached to a piece of pipe. any ideas?

Hi,Idont't have any particular idea ,but Im interested on something similar and maybe we can work together on it,Im mecanic engineer if you have something
***email address removed***,lets talk about it.

Moderators's note: Please keep all discussions in forums to benefit others.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-23-06 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Email address removed/This is for your protection and to prevent your email from being filled with spam.