DIY home automation

Old 10-18-06, 08:38 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question DIY home automation

with all the awesome stuff you can do with computers, has anyone tried / heard of home made home automation stuff? rather than buying all the fancy X10 or whatever modules and gear, surely it would be possible to do some of that stuff with free/open source apps, even if it meant writing some of your own. any ideas?

closest thing i have so far is MythTV automatically recording Ghost Hunters and my other favorite shows whenever they're on, regardless of channel, time, etc, but i would love to do some more advanced stuff ... i know you can pretty easily run security cams using simple webcams and linux, but wasn't sure if anyone had done anything more advanced

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-06, 10:50 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Software, sure, you could make your own. For some older stuff such a X-10, I'd think there would be Linux or other open source apps available. For other stuff, it depends.

Many of the users of these systems usually aren't one to care, or are quite happy with the pay commercial apps.

You could make your own hardware too, but there are certain safety risks involved with line side controls.