I was going to get Insteon switches, but...

Old 04-25-07, 11:28 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I was going to get Insteon switches, but...

I am remodeling my kitchen and will have a total of eight 3-way switches am am going to install. I currently use an X10 system and was leaning towards putting in Insteon for these new switches. To my dismay, I found out the following:

1) They cost $45 each X 8 = $360!
2) The Insteon table top controllers only have 5 address buttons. My X10 table top controllers have 16 buttons. I spoke with tech support at Smarthome and he said "You should group the lights into scenes". I like having the control of each address.
3) They loose 200 watts of capacity if they are placed next to each other in a junction box, 400 watts is lost if there is 3 switches, etc. How am I supposed to wire these things in the same box? I would not be able to run any of the lights with the lower capacity.

Do any of you have any input on this? It seems that the signal may have gotten better, but the technology took a step back!

I would not mind getting more X10 switches but Smarthome phased them out and the one at X10.com are cheap and do not have that nice tactile feel.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-07, 04:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can, run each lighting circuit directly to the basement next to the breaker panel, or some place where and install each "switch" its own box, and install controllers where you need them.

Old 04-26-07, 05:56 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure I'm following you. The the 4 switches will have to be next to each other or they will take up WAY too much wall space.