Hot tub temperature alarm?

Old 11-24-07, 09:05 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot tub temperature alarm?

We have an outdoor hot tub, in a cold climate. I am not sure this is really a valid concern, but I am a bit worried that this hot tub could fail at some point, and that the water in the unit would freeze.

Wonder if anyone ever thought about this: How could some kind of indoor alarm be set up to notify that the water temp in the tub has dropped.

When I mentioned this to a guy at a pool store, he said it should not be a major concern if you are checking on it every couple of days since it would take quite a while for the water to freeze. Not sure about this.......

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-07, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 85 Posts
There are numerous wired and wireless devices for freeze warning. Some of the dedicated ones have their own phone dialers, others are designed to integrate with security system or HA systems. Just websearch using the phrases: "freeze alarm" and "freeze alert".

Old 02-03-11, 02:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spa low temp alarms

To: dtfoyle

I believe you have a valid question here. My C45 Caldera spa had that rotten GFCI box fail and powered down the tub. Took 1.5 days to notice this, and the low speed pump blew off its water union due to freezing, even though the water temp was above freezing.

I have researched a simple alarm to make some sort of noise in the house if the lines get below about 80 degrees, but no real luck so far - this is a "wet" area and needs something more robust.

Will post whatever I find from Grainger, etc.

Jerry814

Old 02-03-11, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hot tubs have freeze protection built in. If the temp of the water goes below freezing the pump automatically comes on.

Mike NJ

Old 02-04-11, 04:30 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Mike, Jerry said the GFCI failed, so the pump couldn't come on.