A question about Thermostatically controlled outlets

Old 03-24-08, 07:07 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A question about Thermostatically controlled outlets

I am trying to solve a problem with the fridge at my cottage in the winter. When we're not there the cottage goes to outside temp as it is heated by wood. And for the most part unplugging the fridge is not a problem as it is cold enough for every thing to start freezing withing a few hors of leaving the place. But in the case of milder winters or early spring sometimes the ambient temp can go high enough to cause melting. I was just wondering if there were any outlets or themostats that operatedd opposite of the norm where I could set it to stop working at 0 degress celcius and start when tmps rise above 0. Thanks for any help...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-08, 11:51 AM
C
Just clean out and unplug the fridge in the off season. That is what all seasonal cottagers I know do.

Old 03-28-08, 02:27 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the electricity is on during the off season just leave the fridge plugged in. It won't operate until the temp gets above the threshold you set.

If you use a gen set for power, you could set it up with a thermostatically controlled starter. It will cost more in fuel to run it "on demand" through a winter than all the food in the fridge.

Most frozen foods will be "bad eats" after six months anyway, so you should just take it all with you when you leave -- or donate it to a local food bank.

What do you do about the water pipes during the off season?

Old 05-18-08, 02:05 PM
M
refrigeration parts supply stores have tstats that are basically switches, and will allow 120-240volts to pass at the spec temp.