Garage Door Wireless Key Pad

Old 04-11-08, 07:53 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Wireless Key Pad

I have a Craftsman garage door opener. It is about 3 years old.My wireless key pad installed out side the garage door stopped working. I tried to re-programe it but nothing. Any suggestions guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 08:48 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the battery is good, and you have the original instructions, and it wont program. pitch it.

A replacement is $40 at Sears or $ 36 at Lowes for a genie rolling code wireless remote.

Old 04-12-08, 05:29 AM
I've got two of those Sears key pads.

I've been using them a couple of years now and I'm amazed that the same 9V batteries are still working.

When I press one of the buttons, the back light comes on.
Does yours still light up?

The only problem that I've had with mine is sometimes the 'Enter' key doesn't work.

I think the Enter keys on both units have become a lot less sensitive to finger pressure.

One thing that seemed to help is, cycling the keys. Pressing the enter key about 50 times seems to clean it up and gives us more reliability. Maybe I'm cleaning the contacts.?.
I also repeatedly pressed my PIN code numbers, trying to clean them up also.

Old 04-12-08, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined..

Take the battery out, take the unit apart and get to the circuit board. if it has buttons that press on the copper contacts on the board, some alcohol and a q-tip will clean them. Being outside, I have no doubt that they have a green film on them, like any other copper exposed to the elements.

Old 04-13-08, 08:36 AM
A
Garage Door Wireless Key pad

Thanks for all the inputs. I tried to pull out the pad took out the battery but was unable to reach the circuit board. I do not see any screw and I am wondering how to get to the circuit. In the mean time I sprayed the circuit board with the contact cleaner and was able to reprogram it for the time being it has started working but I would still like to know how to reach to the circuit board if any one can guide me. Thanks again.

Old 04-13-08, 11:40 AM
That good..

So, it does seem like it's dirty contacts.

If it starts acting up again, try 'Pressing the enter key about 50 times. And your PIN keys' to clean them up.
It works fine for me. So far, I've not had to take anything apart.

I use the pad on my door a lot more than my wife uses hers.
Hers seems to get intermittent more often. I'll bet if she used it more, it would stay working longer..