GFI and X-10 compatibility

Old 07-07-08, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFI and X-10 compatibility

I installed a GFI circuit breaker in my breaker box. I used it to feed an x-10 controlled outlet. The GFI trips as soon as I turn on the breaker. I ran tests, other GFI,s another x-10 controlled outlet, and am convinced that the leakage current in the x-10 outlet causes the GFI breaker to trip. Would other brands (levitron) have lower leakage current? The outlet I used was made by X-10 PRO.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 06:47 PM
x-10 gfi

Googling the above gives 112K hits, so something must be up with this things.

But I can't believe the X-10 people haven't foreseen the use of an upstream GFI.

Old 07-07-08, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Google hits has no relevance. I get 266k hits looking for "eaten hamburgers for sale"........

Read this:

http://www.smarthome.com/solution12.html

It discusses this issue.

Old 07-07-08, 08:19 PM
this might work. . .

I guess you could check for genuine leakage current in the cable between the GF and X-10 with a milliammeter. If no leakage, then. . .

In other parts of Cyberspace there's a controversy over whether AFCIs trip for no reason.
And if you do a patent search there are new patents that solve the "non-existent problem" of false tripping of AFCIs.
So here is a reputable source independent of the AFCI marketing people which says there is a problem and this source has put considerable money where it's mouth is to solve that problem.

A similar strategy might work here.
Neither the GFI people nor the automation people are interested in raining on their own parade (at least not until they solve this non-existent problem).

How far digested were those hamburgers?

Old 07-09-08, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by WDIBAA View Post
I guess you could check for genuine leakage current in the cable between the GF and X-10 with a milliammeter. If no leakage, then. . .

In other parts of Cyberspace there's a controversy over whether AFCIs trip for no reason.
And if you do a patent search there are new patents that solve the "non-existent problem" of false tripping of AFCIs.
So here is a reputable source independent of the AFCI marketing people which says there is a problem and this source has put considerable money where it's mouth is to solve that problem.

A similar strategy might work here.
Neither the GFI people nor the automation people are interested in raining on their own parade (at least not until they solve this non-existent problem).

How far digested were those hamburgers?
I did not measure the leakage current, but I did test out the rest of the circuit by removing the X-10 outlet from the circuit. The GFI did not trip.

Old 02-16-10, 06:48 PM
Your link discusses a different X!0 GFI compatibility issue. That article talks about X10 controllers not receiving commands "behind" some GFI protection circuits.
Regards
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Google hits has no relevance. I get 266k hits looking for "eaten hamburgers for sale"........

Read this:

HOW DO I GET A GFCI PROTECTED X10 MODULE

It discusses this issue.