recording power on/off dates/times

Old 09-06-08, 10:18 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recording power on/off dates/times

I need a way for my PC to sense power on/off and write the dates/times of the on/off events to a file. Here's the situation...

I want to record when a home standby generator starts and stops. I have sensor wires that only have power when the generator is running. Currently, the power is 120V AC, but I can change that as necessary, e.g., make it low voltage DC.

So, what I need is a device that can plug into a port on my PC (USB, serial port, ???) that can monitor the sensor wires and record state change dates/times.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ira

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 10:40 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Do a Google search for data logging. There are stand alone units that will record the data and then you connect to the PC for download (this eliminates the necessity of the PC running constantly) and there are "front ends" that will interface with a serial input and make the PC a data logger. Various software packages available and simple ones often come with the data logger or front end.

Old 09-25-08, 03:48 PM
A
If it's short term I'd use a video cam with motion detection software...aim the camera at the object and set for sensitive mode...when generator starts the slight movement will be detected and recorded on your hard drive...providing date and time....may or may not work for ya.
---------------
Aetech
"All Electronics Tech"

Old 09-30-08, 03:30 PM
D
You might want to look into this:
http://www.guardiangenerators.com/Pr...px?src=gdelite
I do not know the cost.