Nutone - Replace with simpler intercom?

Old 09-13-08, 11:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nutone - Replace with simpler intercom?

We have an old Nutone 3003 music intercom, base, 3 stations plus the door and a couple of speakers.
The base unit is dead - transformer is OK but that's it. We just dont use the radio, or anything but the doorbell and very rarely the intercom features.
Is there any way to wire a simpler, cheaper intercom/doorbell into the existing system to replace the base? Rather than spring for a Nutone I'd replace it with just a doorbell, but would prefer to avoid the work of covering all the units.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 09:32 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The Nutone IMA-516 is a simple intercom / door answering system with no music etc. I installed one in my last home.

The downside for you is that the control unit goes into a closet, stairwell, or basement and each wall unit acts as a master / all call system. This means you will still have to repair the hole where the master is located and the rough in box size is probably different than your current units.

Your current system may be a three wire setup and I think the 516 is a six wire setup.

Just things to check out before you whip out the credit card.

Old 09-14-08, 12:46 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Aiphone has several options that will work with the existing wiring.

Since you never use the intercom or radio functions, why not just abandon the intercom altogether and use the wiring for a standard doorbell?