Garage door won't close on one side

Old 10-02-08, 08:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door won't close on one side

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. I had my garage door replaced four years ago with a new opener, springs, and tracks. It is a wooden, sectional door, with torsion springs. Everything appears to be in good condition.

I just noticed that the door doesn't close all the way on one side - there is about a half inch gap only on that side. If I disengage the opener, the problem remains. But if I then push down on that side of the door, it will close all the way (against the spring) and then return to the slightly open position when I stop pushing.

If the door is all the way up, there is more tension in the cable on the side with the problem. So I'm thinking it may just be a matter of loosening the tension a bit on that spring. Maybe the spring is just holding that side from closing all the way.

Does that sound right? Is there anything else I should check? I need to get this fixed before the rainy season starts as the garage is at the bottom of a steep driveway.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-08, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You are probably right in your diagnosis, but if you have a single torsion spring over the header, PLEASE leave it to the pros. They are unpredictable, and one slip can really make for a frowny face day. If, on the other hand, you have individual springs on either side of the door, you may be able to adjust the tension on the cables to allow for proper closure.