valve control with rotary actuator

Old 10-16-08, 04:43 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
valve control with rotary actuator

hi all,
I guess there is not much to add to the title of my post I just want to turn on and off a compression valve using some kind of actuator.
Since the valve has a lever that turns 90 degrees, I guess a rotary actuator would be the best choice.

Nevertheless I do not have a god idea where to start - I have no idea what torque I need, but I would say that the actuator should run on no more than 3 V DC (so I can use batteries).

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks a lot,
kowalsky

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-08, 07:52 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
You would be better to jack up that voltage to a minimum of 12 volts or even better, 24 volts. This will allow you to use many surplus linear actuators via a bell crank or direct linkage.

On the other hand, motorized ball valves are fairly common although the battery power requirement may be a limiting factor. What is the end application?

Old 10-16-08, 08:50 PM
K
Thanks furd,
the end application is what I said before; I need to remotely turn on and off a compression valve on a half inch water pipe (it's along story and even longer distance from that valve to the place I see the water coming out from the hose, and that's what I'm trying to cut down). The command of the actuator will be most probably some wireless device, but now I am concerned with the actuator.

The compression valve has a lever that rotates from being aligned to the water flow direction to perpendicular to this direction when it stops the flow, so I need 90 degrees rotation, and that's about it.

Thanks a bunch,
kowalsky

Old 10-17-08, 10:37 AM
F
You use terms that are mutually exclusive. A "compression valve" would normally denote a globe valve that requires several rotations of the round handwheel to either open or close. A valve with a handle that turns 90 degrees from open to close is likely a ball valve. Perhaps you mean a ball valve that is connected to the piping by means of compression (ferrule) fittings.

Anyway, there are many motorized ball valves available in several different materials and pressure ratings. I just did a Google search using the term electric actuated ball valve and got about 125,000 hits. Obviously there will be many duplications on that list and many valves that will not fit your needs. Be prepared because they are not inexpensive. Here is one that is 12 volts DC, 1/2 inch in PVC.

http://www.valvestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=550208

You may be much better off, costwise to get a surplus linear actuator and cobble up some kind of mounting for the existing valve. Even cheaper might be a helper and a cheap two-way radio set. If it was just for a troubleshooting chore I would be inclined to do the latter.

Old 10-21-08, 05:16 PM
K
Thanks furd,
I guess I may be wrong about what the valve is called - you are right, what I have in front of me is a ball valve.
Thanks for the link, it's like you say again, too expensive (and probably an overkill) it also looks pretty bulky...

I guess I could use a linear actuator and some kind of rack and pinion (the pinion fixed on the ball valve axis).

Do you have a link for those cheap linear actuators :-)

Thanks a bunch ,
kowalsky

Old 10-21-08, 11:29 PM
F
You don't need a rack & pinion drive, just a hole in the end of the ball valve handle and a moving connection like a clevis or ball-bearing rod end. Mount the actuator also by means of a swivel/clevis/rod end and then the actuator will swing with the valve handle. You'll have to do some experimenting to find the best place to pivot the actuator.

I suggest that you do a Google search for surplus linear actuator and start looking. Here's one that might work for you although it is rated at 24 volts rather than 12 volts.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...tname=electric

You might also want to do a Google for surplus motorized valve and see what pops up. Unless you want to invest some real coin in this project you are going to have to be a surplus scrounge.