Remote Control Light Switch

Old 12-22-08, 02:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote Control Light Switch

I need to install a ceiling light. There is electrical access for the light, but getting the light hooked to a wall switch would require some damage.

I'd like to get a remote switch - such that there is a receiver up at the light, and a wall switch that uses RF to communicate with the receiver. Like a fan switch, but without the gadgets.

Who makes such a device? I know this is a simple question for most of you, but I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks, Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 04:04 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Gary, Not my field, but I have looked for the same and found it to be part of a system. Maybe these folks know of a simple one time application that will work. I'll be watching.

Now before I leave, is the light accessed from an attic? And is the wall you want for the switch an interior wall? If yes to both, the wiring would be (perhaps) simple. Depending upon the cost of the wireless solution, you might want to determine how an electrician would get the wire to that spot. Sometimes they are very tricky and it's easy.

HH
Bud

Old 12-22-08, 04:27 PM
G
Bud, thanks for the reply.

No attic access. An electrician looked at it and suggested a remote switch (otherwise holes would have to be punched and then repaired in the drywall). He could only source one for a fan, and I said I'd poke around. Hence my posting...

Any other ideas?

Gary

Old 12-23-08, 02:44 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have a look at x10's website, especially the Socket Rocket.

Old 12-24-08, 12:43 PM
G
Thanks. I don't know if I have room in the fixture for an extender such as the Socket Rocket, but I'll check.

Any receivers that hook right into the electrical?

Gary

Old 12-24-08, 01:54 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hmmm .... try this one. Hopefully there's enough room in the backbox for it.

Old 12-28-08, 10:45 AM
B
I definately recommend Rick's suggestion for the Insteon. We've installed a lot of these and have never had a problem with them. The Leviton ones have a "DUNK" sound when you use them, like a contactor pulling in, very undesireable. The Insteon ones are very easy to install, and actually shallower then a GFI, which is good for old metal boxes where there's not a lot of room in them.

Old 12-28-08, 08:32 PM
D
I researched Lutron lately and they make many products that control lighting. Check out there website.