Overhead Door Legacy 496 problem

Old 01-21-09, 07:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Overhead Door Legacy 496 problem

Hi,
This is my first post here, I hope I'm posting in the right place...
I have a Overhead Door Legacy 496 garage opener that stopped working yesterday. Door opens and closes quite easily when detached from the opener's chain, so this shouldn't be a problem. Power is also not a problem - light comes on. When I press a remote or a switch, there are two "clicks" (like something inside of the unit is turning on) then there is low pitch buzzing noise for about 2-3 seconds and nothing, no movement (not even a smallest one), only light stays on.
I opened the unit to see if there were any visible problems, like melting or burnout parts, but I can't see anything; there were just a few spider webs I cleaned, but aside from that everything else looked OK. I also tried to unplug it for 30 min or so in hopes it would reset itself, but no luck.
Any help/advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
art

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-09, 03:04 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

That clicking you hear are relays turning power on to the motor and light. The low buzzing noise would indicate to me that the motor relay is powering the motor.

Three things I'd check:
-- There are limit switches that tell the unit to reverse when it reaches the end of its travel. It may think it's all the way up when it's actually all the way down.
-- The chain drive is jammed. You may have to remove the motor to see if the chain moves freely.
-- The motor is frozen.

Old 01-29-09, 09:14 PM
J
Originally Posted by artcrazy View Post
Hi,
This is my first post here, I hope I'm posting in the right place...
I have a Overhead Door Legacy 496 garage opener that stopped working yesterday. Door opens and closes quite easily when detached from the opener's chain, so this shouldn't be a problem. Power is also not a problem - light comes on. When I press a remote or a switch, there are two "clicks" (like something inside of the unit is turning on) then there is low pitch buzzing noise for about 2-3 seconds and nothing, no movement (not even a smallest one), only light stays on.
I opened the unit to see if there were any visible problems, like melting or burnout parts, but I can't see anything; there were just a few spider webs I cleaned, but aside from that everything else looked OK. I also tried to unplug it for 30 min or so in hopes it would reset itself, but no luck.
Any help/advise would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
art

Hello Art,
I am a garage door tech.
Here are the most common problems with automatic openers.
First off your opener is manufactured by Genie. Genie manufactures the openers for "Overhead Doors"
1. Check your safety sensors. Make sure nothing is blocking them by making sure the lights on both sensors are on and not blinking, or off.
2. Make sure the release is set to catch the receiver, I know this sounds dumb but you would be surprised as to how often this is the problem.
3. Check your wall control. Make sure the lock toggle switch is in the open position (it is located at the top L side black in color)
**** From here on you will void any warranty Genie offers by opening the unit yourself and not a certified Genie Tech.
4. Remove the back cover by loosening the screws around the opener should be 4 screws with a 1/4" hex-diver or a standard screwdriver.
5. Look at the contact cam inside (white plastic wheel) and make sure the contact is not stuck in either open or closed position.
6. Make sure the contact did not come off the contact cam wheel.
7. Check the capacitor (#41 in your manual) 98% of the time this is what goes bad if the previous things are ok.
8. Change the Circuit Board. And if this fails to resolve the issue.
9. Replace the motor head unit.
Depending on what year your opener was installed, Genie openers carry different warranties so make sure you are covered and still under warranty, otherwise replace the unit with any other genie product that way you can still use your existing remote controls (considering the are intellicode).

Hope this help you out.

If not call a tech. from a reputable company in your area. Most of the time the cost are service call + parts + labor.

Good luck.Beer 4U2

Old 02-07-09, 07:21 PM
D
O/H Door opens but won't close

I don't have the service papers. Unit is screw drive, bought in 1991. Works fine raising but when I press the remote (or wall) button the light comes on but no action. Removed the cover and found nothing evident. What is the prime suspect? Tnx. Dixieflash

Old 02-08-09, 01:04 PM
A
Thanks for the replies!! I didn't realize this forum doesn't automatically send e-mails when somebody replies to the post... Anyway, my first problem turns out to be chain pulley - was broken (this was quite strange). I've waited 2 weeks for the part I replaced it, but still no cigar. Now I noticed that there is some oily liquid coming out of capacitor, so I'm guessing that is the problem...
Thanks again for the help!

Old 02-08-09, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It will email when someone posts...but you need to subscribe to the thread under "thread tools".

Old 02-10-09, 12:48 PM
D
Hey Art, re: oily liquid coming out of capacitor

[Now I noticed that there is some oily liquid coming out of capacitor, so I'm guessing that is the problem...

That humming sound is the motor trying to start but the cap is defective, I think, and not giving the motor the boost it needs to start. Replace the cap. Mind the wiring if more than two terminals. Bet that cures it. Dixiefladh

Old 02-10-09, 01:06 PM
A
Originally Posted by Dixieflash View Post
That humming sound is the motor trying to start but the cap is defective, I think, and not giving the motor the boost it needs to start. Replace the cap. Mind the wiring if more than two terminals. Bet that cures it. Dixiefladh
Yes, that was my thinking too. Iím waiting for the new capacitor Ė it has 4 terminals, so I left the old in place and Iíll just swap it when the new one arrives.

Old 06-23-12, 03:54 PM
A
Hello Sir,

I have Overhead Door Legacy 496 problem.
When I press a remote or a switch, there are two "clicks" (like something inside of the unit is turning on) then there is low pitch buzzing noise for about 2-3 seconds and nothing, no movement (not even a smallest one), only light stays on.
Any help/advise would be really appreciated. when i opened, and removed gears (white). motor itself oks fine. if i put gears, it is not working. need help.

Thanks,
Anil.

Old 06-24-12, 03:44 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

I believe the answer to your question might be in Dixieflash's post #7 above. The motor needs a boost from the capacitor to get it moving. If the capacitor is bad it will act like it's trying to start, but it can't. The motor will start if it doesn't have a load on it -- and you've already proved that the motor works.

Old 06-24-12, 09:49 AM
A
Hello Rick,

Thank you very much for reply. I am also thinking capacitor. But i did not see leaking from capacitor. I will try replacing capacitior.

Thanks,
Anil.

Old 06-24-12, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
They don't always leak. Mine went bad on my Genie and the only visible problem was a very very slight bulging around the terminals. If I wasn't familiar with electronics I would have dismissed it. Replaced it and opener works fine.

Old 06-27-12, 11:48 AM
A
Thumbs up

Thank you very much. i replaced Capacitor, it worked.

Anil.