Motion Sensor or Driveway sensor

Old 11-09-09, 04:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion Sensor or Driveway sensor

I have a rather long drive at a rural home. There are no street lights anywhere and it can be very dark. The three garage sconces and five porch lights are all on one switch. Inside the house.

I'd like the switch to remain so we can command the lights from inside. I'd also like them to come on when somebody drove or walked up the drive as a convienence to us and as a security measure. On for five minutes by motion detector maybe. I have one such light but it's pretty cheezy. I'm looking for a high quality sensor, wireless if possible that can turn them all on.

Is there a ready made product for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-09, 02:03 PM
G
You could look into the X-10 stuff, they have motion detectors that are battery powered that could switch the lights on.

Old 11-19-09, 06:55 PM
C
I have a suggestion for this, but unfortunately its wired. Look into the infared line of sight sensors, like whats used on garage door openers. Put a set of those at the end of the driveway, so when a car drives through, and breaks the beam, it could trigger the lights. Just a thought.

Old 12-19-09, 11:55 AM
A small insteon installation with a Dakota Alert sensor would solve your problem beautifully.

Essentially this: Dakota alert sensor & receiver
plus this:
Keypad dimmer kit
and you're able to control the lights from inside the house as well as trigger them to come on when the beam is crossed, and it's got a 600 foot range so you don't have to drag wires halfway across your property.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-15-10, 12:29 PM
R
Lutron makes a system called RadioRA. I have used it many times with varying success. Worth checking out. There are many others available. check out our web page for more information. Electric Connection Lake Worth Electrician - 24/7 Electrical Contractor Service

Old 01-15-10, 12:33 PM
G
Boy, the SPAMMERS come out in force at night!

Old 01-18-10, 08:28 PM
D
I second the X10 suggestion. I've been using their home automation products for almost 20 years. Compatible systems have been sold by RCA and Stanley. The nice thing about the system is that you can have an interior light switched by the same motion that turns on your exterior lights so you know when someones coming up your driveway. You can also use the motion detector to activate a security camera (wireless or wired).

If you just want lights to turn on, you could install some security flood lights that have infrared motion detectors.

But X10 is more flexible. You can wire several lights in your house and get a controller that will turn them on/off at predetermined times; there's also a random time option to use when you're away from home.

HTH,
Dennis