home automation list for quirky house?

Old 11-10-09, 04:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
home automation list for quirky house?

hi all.

i am selling my father's house. it is about 35 years old and the electrical setup shows it. a summary of the house:

old wiring -- including almost no elec boxes outside
some minimal coax
an old intercom system
a central vacuum system (the only house i know with this)
french drain (and sump pump in cellar = bad)
garage doors without automatic contact sensors
heated water radiant heat
ceiling fan (no central air)
no security system

my business is process automation -- many different control systems --

i am wondering if its worth my time to automate the house or at least:

-- work in concert with the HVAC duct guy who would put in central air to put in compatible temperature sensors / fans or

--to put in a security system / lighting system that would be compatible with a central system.

i keep reading about X10. is this the best way to go?

does anyone have a retrofit list and hardware required list? i am confiednet that i could program any software -- i have even considered doing this in rockwell....

can i utilize any of the intercom, vacuum system for any of the runs i would need to make to automate?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-09, 06:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how much of the house is finished? Is the basement still unfinished? What do you all want to control with the automation setup? lighting, hvac, etc? The intercom setup could be updated to something that will work with a control system, depending upon what type of wiring is used. As for security, and the french drain and sump pump, it would be ideal to use a security system with a "water bug" sensor. GE and I think linear security have these, as well as both companies have wireless security systems, and can be integrated. These "contacts" for the garage doors could be possibly integrated, need more info on these. Pretty much any nicer thermostat will work for the heat, but it would be recommended to install a/c, and it would be easy to wire to new tstat. As for lighting, there is a lot of stuff out there. Lutron makes some good stuff, as for the automation and control side, there is a lot better stuff than x-10. Check out crestron, or AMX. They would have all of your solutions for every aspect of a control system. x-10 is great is you have a very simple control system and only want to automate a couple basic things. For a full automation system, I would go with someone that I mentioned above, since they are a "one stop shop". As for the programming, its pretty advanced. As for the retrofit, I would like to see some type of floor plan drawing or some type of pics, since every retrofit install, and every house is slightly different. Hope this helps.