New Construction Panel Cost

Old 12-09-00, 11:12 AM
Visiting Guest
I am having a new house built. The standard electrical service is 150A. I requested a 200A service with a 100A sub panel so I can isolate my wood shop. The builder has told me he needs to go to a 300A service to support a 100A sub panel. The additional cost for the 300A panel and the 100A sub panel is $850 over the standard 150A service. Is this a reasonable price? Would I be better off if I waited until constructon was completed and I hired an electrician directly to upgrade my electrical service? Would using a 300A or 400A service without the sub panel make the cost go down?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-00, 03:56 PM
sprky
Visiting Guest
hello bradly,
sorry it took so long 4 me to reply but i have been busey.
i dont know why the builder is telling u that you need to go to a 300 amp service to suport a 100 amp sub. we put in 100 amp subs all the time off 200 amp main panels, my persionel openion is hes trying to sell u on something u dont need, unless there is a local code in your area that prohibets a 200 amp main suporting a 100 amp sub. check with your local building inspector and see if there is any thing local prohibiting this. if theres nothing local prohibiting this then ask him why he says u need a 300 amp service, you might also talk to the electrical contractor and discuss this issue with him.

Old 12-12-00, 08:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you for the reply. The builder is just passing on what the electrical subcontractor is telling him. I'm sure there isn't any code demanding a 300A panel to support a 100A sub panel. The builder is a big national name and the sales rep told me that the subs get squeezed pretty hard on price to make the basic house. When you upgrade anything on the house, the subs see it as their opportunity to make some extra money. The local home center told me I can easily add a 100A subpanel to a 200A main. I ordered a 200A main panel and will consider my options knowing I have the luxury of getting competitive bids or performing the upgrade myself in the future.