fixture wiring

Old 12-10-00, 08:51 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a switch with a black and white lead to it, controlling a ceiling fixture. I want to tap another fixture off this switch.When I hooked up the second fixture - when the switch was on - only one light worked, and when the switch was off, only the other light worked. How can I get both lights to go on together?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-00, 05:03 PM
sprky
Visiting Guest
hello ktm88,
you cant power another light from this switch. this switch is a switch loop and has no grounded conductor(white wire that goes to the nutural bar of the panel) in the switch box the grounded conductor is in the light along with the power, the white wire that is in this switch box is carying power from the light to the switch. the only way to have this switch control another light is to go from the existing light to the new light with the wire and connect them color to color that is attached to the existing light, leave all other wires attached as they r. or chaing out the existing 2 wire cabel for 3 wire cabel connecting the red to the wire that the white is presently connected to, amd connect the white to the white that goes to the light, and connect the black to the light.