Whole-house automation over CAT5

Old 12-06-10, 09:19 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole-house automation over CAT5

I have been scouring the net for days now looking for any good information about building a whole-house automation system based on CAT5 or better cable.

I'm not eager to implement x10 or radio-based systems and would prefer to stay away from closed standards.

Please point me to the right direction !

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-10, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
From creative controls concepts. Hope this helps. Cat5 cant do it all

Home Automation FAQ: Can I use CAT5 wire for audio, temp sensing, etc. ?

Mike NJ

Old 12-06-10, 10:06 PM
Z
Maybe I was not clear about my requirements: I would like to know if I can *control* stuff with through CAT5:

e.g. a light switch: 120v light switch gets turned on or off using CAT5 cable and giveitaname controller on the other end.

I have no interest running audio or low-voltage lighting through CAT5 - just controlling things. It would be pretty awesome if it could be IP based - but could live with another open standard.

Old 12-07-10, 08:38 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

The short answer is yes. Everything can be controlled by low-voltage cable. The real question is, how deep is your wallet? A whole-house Crestron or AMX system can run into the tens of thousands of dollars, but it's a beautiful thing when you can hit a button on your smart phone in Bolivia and make sure the hallway light is off in your house in Boston.

The switches need to be able to be controlled by the system. This could be as simple as two wires that tell it to turn on or off, but the extra pairs that Cat5 offers also allows that switch to send feedback to the controller that tells it whether it's on or off.

There are other, cheaper solutions than AMX and Crestron, but they are the market leaders in home automation. Keep an eye out for used on ebay and other sites. The IP-based systems have enough market penetration that they're starting to show up.

Old 12-19-10, 05:37 PM
H
You can do this with NO wires...Replace the light switch or all light switches and plug outlets with ones that can be addressed, you can control them via RF with remotes, wireless switches, your TV remote, etc. Car to home remotes.....smart phone control....etc. you can set macro's and have lighting sceens etc...like entertain, house go to sleep mode, house wake up mode. I would never recomend buying a used system off e-bay as someone stated... Creston is good stuff however there are other good product solutions. Lutron RA2 is a solution, Control4,LifeWare ...

Last edited by Rick Johnston; 12-20-10 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Removed link to business site - not allowed.
Old 12-20-10, 05:04 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hugh,

Welcome to the forums. Please read the rules of the forum. We're not allowed to promote our businesses on this site.

In post #1 above, you'll see that the poster was "not eager to implement x10 or radio-based systems".

Why wouldn't you buy a used system? I've had very good luck with them.