Genie garage door opener not opening when bright sun hits sensor

Old 10-12-11, 04:35 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Genie garage door opener not opening when bright sun hits sensor

I saw an old post from someone asking about covers for sensors due to the sun hitting sensor and not allowing garage door opener to close/open. I too have had the same problem for YEARS and have had the garage door installer come by many times. Of course when he would get here it would work for him but I think it was because he was coming later in the day after the sun was on the other side of the house. For the first year or two (it's been so long I can't remember) it worked fine but now has been a source of frustration. It has only been recently someone said it could be the sun. My husband has tried putting a makeshift shield over the sensor but it worked once only. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-11, 01:56 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think the best solution if possible is to move the sensors back away from the door opening a bit. Otherwise I have usually suggested using the tube from the middle of a roll of toilet tissue.

Old 10-14-11, 11:53 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The sensors are line-of-sight, so they work best if they can see only each other. Your husband had the right idea to shade the receiver from direct sunlight (and figpickle's suggestion is a good one), but reflected sunlight will still overwhelm the sensors. For testing, use a mirror and a piece of cardboard all over the area to see if anything else is interfering.

BTW, welcome to the forums!