Do it how?

Old 03-26-12, 12:19 PM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do it how?

I need to make a very small "winch" out of maybe a cordless drill motor and battery that is geared to pull 50lbs easily but I want it to be remote controlled with in/out and on/off and spool a small cable in/out less than 10feet slowly. I'm not knowledgeable about these kind of things so be gentle!

Old 03-26-12, 03:28 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It might be better if you could fully explain what you want to accomplish as your end goal and one of us might have a different idea of how to accomplish that goal. With what you have stated it leaves a lot of room for misinterpretation.

Old 03-27-12, 07:07 PM
U
Furd,
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm working on a cable system for a retractable awning cover. When the sun moves across my back patio I have to continue to adjust it in small increments so I can read. A roll up shade has the same problem and changes with the seasons. Don't want any electrical cords on the ground because of the grand kids.

Old 03-29-12, 09:26 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
You may be trying to re-invent the wheel. Motorized controls for draperies and roller shades are fairly common and some awnings have them as an option. I would start by looking at the catalogs (either on-line or print) of the home automation suppliers such as smarthome.com and others. You might also try contacting the manufacturer of your awning for any "off-the-shelf" solutions.

If you are not all that familiar with electric motor controls and motorized actuators then trying to cobble one up from scratch would likely be an experience in extreme frustration. It may not be rocket science but neither is it electricity for dummies.

Old 04-01-12, 02:22 PM
U
Thank you so much for your insight! You're exactly right..I am making something difficult for no reason. Great perspective!!! Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: