AMX Controller Panel Design Question [TPDesign4]

Old 05-30-12, 07:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AMX Controller Panel Design Question [TPDesign4]

Hi,

I'm new here so forgive me if this isn't in the right category. I'm an IT Intern at a medium sized business. My boss has given me a task related to an AMX controller panel in the conference rooms at our office building. He's told me he doesn't even know if it's possible, but it was his idea of a "fun" project for me to try. I literally have no knowledge of this type of programming.

A few years ago we contracted an AMX installation company to install, program, and design 3 touch panel controllers in our conference rooms for A/V related control. I've attached a picture of the basic design of the interface.

Apparently support from the AMX installation company has been really bad and my boss no longer has interest in dealing with them. So he's asked me to, basically, backwards engineer the software on the panel. The software I've been given to accomplish this task is called "TPDesign4"

So basically my main questions are.

1. Is it even possible for me to do this?
2. If so, can I do it with TPDesign4 alone?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-12, 04:16 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

TPD4 and NetLinx Studio are the two programs you'll need. TPD4 is the design software for the TP (touch pad), and NetLinx is the software for the controller.

Depending on the system you have, the touch pad is usually a dumb terminal. The controller (usually an "Axcess") receives data from the TP and sends acks back to it, but it is the controller that actually makes things happen in the room.

The program files are stored on the controller. They are compiled to a proprietary language and cannot be decompiled. You'll need the original source code for both the controller and the TP in order to change anything.

The source files can be downloaded from the controller if they were uploaded and stored there by the original programmer. Many programmers don't provide the source code as a matter of job security: You have to call them (and pay them) to make changes.

Old 05-31-12, 06:32 AM
J
Welcome to the forums.

TPD4 and NetLinx Studio are the two programs you'll need. TPD4 is the design software for the TP (touch pad), and NetLinx is the software for the controller.

Depending on the system you have, the touch pad is usually a dumb terminal. The controller (usually an "Axcess") receives data from the TP and sends acks back to it, but it is the controller that actually makes things happen in the room.

The program files are stored on the controller. They are compiled to a proprietary language and cannot be decompiled. You'll need the original source code for both the controller and the TP in order to change anything.

The source files can be downloaded from the controller if they were uploaded and stored there by the original programmer. Many programmers don't provide the source code as a matter of job security: You have to call them (and pay them) to make changes.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ho...#ixzz1wSBXa2sF
Thank you! I have TPD4. I don't have any idea how my boss got his hands on it. Netlinx Studio seems impossible to download without being an AMX "dealer." If you have the software installer, could you possibly upload it for me? AMXmeetingroom also sounds like interesting software. Would that possibly be any use to me either? So, is there any possible way to pull the original source files off the controller, or is that impossible? We do not have the original source code. The programmers refuse to sell it to us.

Old 05-31-12, 03:09 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have your boss check the original purchase order. Sometimes the job specification requires the vendor to give you the source code with the closeout documents.

I can't give you the software. You have to be either a dealer or a certified programmer to get the software. If you're not happy with the original dealer you can contact AMX for a list of other programmers in your area. They may be able to reach an agreement to get the source code from the other dealer, but it usually winds up as a complete rebuild.

Or, since you understand programming you could go through the certification and re-program everything yourself.

Old 06-01-12, 06:07 AM
J
Have your boss check the original purchase order. Sometimes the job specification requires the vendor to give you the source code with the closeout documents.

I can't give you the software. You have to be either a dealer or a certified programmer to get the software. If you're not happy with the original dealer you can contact AMX for a list of other programmers in your area. They may be able to reach an agreement to get the source code from the other dealer, but it usually winds up as a complete rebuild.

Or, since you understand programming you could go through the certification and re-program everything yourself.

Cool, I'll mention that to him. I'm sure he's already checked it out, but that's not bad advice. I understand that you can't give me the software. If anything, I'm upset at AMX for being such a stickler about this. We would be totally willing to pay for the software, if we could. It's not like we're looking for handouts. I might possibly go through the certification if my boss thinks it's worth it. Thank you.