Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Home Automation Systems and Devices
Reload this Page >

Alternative to AMX for Conference Room [Independent Programmer Friendly]

Old 06-04-12, 01:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My company has 3 AMX NXT-CA7 touch panels and NI-2100 controllers to go with them in our conference rooms. We are tired of dealing with AMX's stringent rules and controls. What would be a good, independent programmer friendly, alternative that we could use to design, program, and install our own equivalent system? All functions are listed in attached picture. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-12, 03:32 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What's behind the "Video Conference" and "Room Control" buttons?

In any case, check out the Extron products. The quality of their gear is top-notch, and quite a bit cheaper on average than AMX and Crestron.

Extron is also much looser when it comes to dealer networks, but you may find that the same dealer in your area sells AMX and Extron.

Old 06-06-12, 12:15 PM
J
"Video Conference is some kind of video phone that goes to the WAN. Room control let's you turn the projector on and off and lower and raise the screen. Cool, we'll look into Extron. Thanks.

Old 06-07-12, 04:24 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Before you buy a new controller you'll need to know how everything is connected to the existing controller. There will be a video switcher to select PC, Laptop, DVD and VCR (or they are all connected to the projector, and the projector does the switching). DVD and VCR controls probably use infra-red (IR) blasters.

The video conferencing system could be controlled by RS232 (com port), RS422/485 (balanced serial), or IP.

Same with the projector, although they are almost always RS232.

The screen uses two relay contacts; one for down, the other for up.

You'll need to know the make & model of every device so you can gather the associated control command codes.

Old 06-07-12, 06:16 AM
J
That's really good information to know, thanks. Do you have any ideas for what I can use as a panel and controller system? I don't want to hire a 3rd party. It's something I need to be able to do myself.