workshop wiring

Old 01-23-01, 01:09 PM
Visiting Guest
If I have power coming into one side of a 3-way switch can I continue the power from one of the 3-ways to the rest of the circuit (which consists of 4 receptacles) . I know I need 12/3 between switches and 12/2 to the light. How do I continue the power through one of the switches?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-01, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have to know the circuit power (from electrical panel) if going first to the switch box or the light fixture box. If you look at the outlet box where the switch is , and look inside , how many wire cable are entering the box, if only the 3-wire cable (+ bare ground) is entering the box , then this is not the source of the circuit power. If there another 2nd wire cable cable enetering the switch box, that could most likely be the circuit power (2-wire + bare ground). The circuit power could also be entering the light fixture first. Basicly where your source of circuit power is for that 3-way switch/light portion of the circuit, is where you want to connect your source of power for the rest of the circuit.

Or there could be another plug or location separate from the 3-way /light portion , that you could also get circuit power from ?