Second Home Monitoring Question

Old 03-14-14, 07:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Second Home Monitoring Question

Iíve got a small house in Florida that I use in the winter but it sits empty in the summer when Iím back in Massachusetts. Iím not so worried about break-ins, more concerned about whether the air conditioning is working so the house doesnít get too hot or moldy. Does anybody know of or use something that doesnít cost a lot and you could just plug it in and it does that?

Old 03-16-14, 04:40 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums. Does the house have a phone line?

Visonic DL-125C Two-Channel Automatic Voice Dialer With Microphone - Smarthome

Old 03-25-14, 11:28 AM
wi-fi thermostats

Honeywell and Nest among others are now marketing wi-fi connected thermostats.
If you have wi-fi set up in your Florida home, these would be perfect for your needs.

Old 03-26-14, 01:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thinking....HUMMM

Might be worthy of considering. A full security system that also includes indoor temp control. (???) You might not need or think you need the security system feature, but why not if some security systems have remote temp control and some also include water leakage sensing devices, etc. Those systems that might be of consideration is any that use (GSM?) Wi-Fi signaling and not in need of a phone line. Just a thought.

2 close friends I know of using one of 2 such systems. One is from T-Warner while the other uses Simplisafe security. Each company has some differences in features, (lease and/or buy) and monthly monitoring costs you'll need to consider, if you elect to use such.

Old 03-26-14, 02:43 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
It has been 12 days, I don't think that Chuber is returning.

Admins Note:
I doubt he will either. Not totally outdated post. There are or could be many others reading this thread presently with the same or similar thought in mind and/or maybe in the near future reading this thread....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-27-14 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 06:45 AM
C
Thanks for the replies everyone was out of the country for a little bit. My concern about wifi is that if the power was to go out it would take the wifi out with it.The house does have a phone line so the automatic dialer might be the best bet. I would go for the Simplisafe security system but I'm trying to keep costs on this as low as possible. Thanks all the suggestions

Old 03-28-14, 11:17 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I haven't been out of the country in at least two decades. (Punctuation IS important!)

A telephone landline is only as secure and as reliable as the wire between the house and the telephone company's central office. If you have overhead service to the house then any miscreant could cut that wire and you would be left without monitoring. Even if the line to the house is underground severe weather (ice storm or the like) could take down the wires where they eventually go above ground.

IF you have cellular service then that would be the best, especially through an alarm service company. Although I have yet to try it, a voice dialer using one of the newer wireless services such as Basic Talk or Straight Talk might be good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: