old GE low voltage conversion to z-wave

Old 11-06-14, 06:40 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
old GE low voltage conversion to z-wave

My house was built in 1955 and the owner was pretty advanced for his time. He had a GE low voltage (24V) lighting system used. This means that all the light switches are low voltage (have small wires carrying 24 volts to a relay panel that uses the GE RR3 and RR7 relays that then switch 110 to the lights. This system has worked for better than 50 years. Unfortunately, the relays are starting to go bad and replacing them will cost about as much as going to z-wave. (that and whoever wired it didn't believe in wire management (read rats nest))

My question is, is there a z-wave solution that would allow me to use the existing switch boxes to hold low voltage switches or wireless switches and allow me to put receivers in the junction box for each light? I'd rather not have to run 110 thru these walls. Plaster is a b*tch to deal with.

Old 11-06-14, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I've worked on may of those low voltage switching systems and they have ALL been rats nests. I've converted some to newer style relays.

It looks like Aeon Labs is working on what you are looking for. Basically, and unfortunately, the low voltage wiring from the relays to the switch plates is of no use in your case. You are looking for battery operated wireless control devices.

wireless z-wave switch

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: