Freeze/water warning systems in basement

Old 02-14-15, 08:41 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Freeze/water warning systems in basement

i am still searching for a simple basic phone or internet based warning system for a waterleak or a below freezing condition should a pipe leak or the furnace cut out when i am not at home. i know there are sophisticated thermostats such as nest etc. but that is overkill for my intention as i have no need or desire to control the temperature remotely.

i see the company "protected home"has many such products but they come with a monthly monitoring fee which i would like to avoid if possible. i have considered the "drop cam" which i could use to focus on the furnace/basement floor area and a large digital thermometer to give visual indication of a problem, gerry-rig i know but it would serve my purpose.

technology is changing so quickly so i would rather spend the money on something current. are the "protected home" products good or are there other players out there who are better. again, looking to keep it simple.
any opinions would be great, thanks

Old 02-14-15, 08:55 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I installed a wireless IP pan and tilt camera in my basement. During bad weather I'll check in via cell phone and look at the sump pit and other areas. Can't get much simpler or cheaper than that.

This would be sample shot.

The other method is SimpliSafe home monitoring system. I know you don't want that but it's cheap and good.

Old 02-14-15, 11:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Control Products has some very effective home monitoring systems.

Here's one that does what you need.... amazon/gp/product/B002MUAIP8/homesitter

Old 02-15-15, 11:04 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for all the good references and opinions

norm, what pan and tilt camera did you end up using, are you happy with your setup or would you make some changes if you were to do it over?

protected home - control products - simpli safe
there are a lot of players in the arena, is there any one that is known for better quality or reliability.
we have all ended up doing the same thing over the years, saving a few dollars and buying an inferior product. i am trying to categorize my choices like tool choices....
snap-on = premium/professional use
craftsman = good product for the price
dollar store tools = childs toy

thanks

Old 02-15-15, 11:29 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
norm, what pan and tilt camera did you end up using, are you happy with your setup or would you make some changes if you were to do it over?
I have Foscam. Very good. Willing buy again. Cost was under $70. However, it's used indoors and not much can happen to it. Very easy to set up using my router. Most any cam will do for the purpose you want. I also have a Swann pan and tilt on the outside of my home. The unit will not pan and tilt due to the cold temps. But the cam still works.

That Homesitter that PJ referenced looks like a winner to me. I'm going to show my son that one. The SimpliSafe security system was given to me by my daughter. I don't really need it, but I do like it and recommend it to anybody look for an inexpensive yet flexible system.

Old 02-15-15, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
a simple basic phone or internet based warning system
That's what I left you.

Now you are asking for something completely different. If you want a premium communicator/dialer system you go with the top.....
United Security Products Automatic Dialers for Security and Emergeny Event notification

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: