Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage Door Trolley "catches" at opening

SD

09-29-17, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)  
Garage Door Trolley "catches" at opening

Randomly, after a few hours of non-use, my 21-yr old opener Trolley catches, at opening. It sticks so fiercly it bends the Trolley Rail down 3-6 inches; at a force-point, will release and operate smoothly. NOTE: Does it only once; you can operate it 25+ times & it will not repeat - until after a random period of non-use. I haven't discovered a physical catch or rail-joint. All door/ opener hardware is tight and functions & adjusted per manual. Anyone have exactly this "catch?"

Sponsored Links

NY

09-29-17, 06:00 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Worn trolley guides and wheels. Once it gets past that initial catch, it settles into position for it no longer catch. Then over night things contract, expand and twist so that it again catches at a joint or flat spot or some such area. Could also be a stripped gear or a gear that is no longer tightly held on a shaft. It catches on first run then glides back into position for the next set of cycle before it slide out of alignment. Just lots a guesstimates. That's all I got.

NH

10-18-17, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Since the rail got pushed out of position, there is an impact occurring at or very close to that spot.

Try operating the door in short increments (unplug the power cord if needed). After it stops, try to wiggle the door sideways to see if a wheel on one side or the other threatens to fall off the track or fall off of its axle.

Search this Thread