Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Elk M1 system to control garage door openeers and more

NJ

10-23-17, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Elk M1 system to control garage door openeers and more

Hi,

I bought an Elk M1 years ago and now that remodeling is coming to a close, want to use it.

My major restriction is not being able to use WiFi or other radio broadcast protocols (long story) and need to have wired connectivity. That hasn't been a problem with security switches like for doors/windows. And Ethernet connections are fine.

So first off, I need to put in two new garage door openers that I want to control from within the house, like if someone forgets to close a door. From the car, using the remote is OK.

All the devices I've seen (like MyQ) require WiFi. So how can I have wired control of the openers through the Elk or even via a computer? Is there something that works via X10? If so, how is the door signaled to close?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NJ

10-23-17, 09:40 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The door is signaled to close on a contact short. So whatever you use would need to have a N.O. (normally open) relay contact. That would be pretty universal. So you don't want to use wireless but wired is ok.

Run wire to two pushbuttons.
Many of my customers have a second remote control in their house.
You can have one control run both doors.

The M1 could control them but it needs a wired connection from it to the doors.

~ Pete ~

NY

10-24-17, 04:27 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Posted By: PJmax The door is signaled to close on a contact short. So whatever you use would need to have a N.O. (normally open) relay contact. That would be pretty universal. So you don't want to use wireless but wired is ok.

Run wire to two pushbuttons.
Many of my customers have a second remote control in their house.
You can have one control run both doors.

The M1 could control them but it needs a wired connection from it to the doors.
The new openers that are My Q ready or have a yellow learn button will not work with a "Contact short" the pushbutton/ wall control is encoded so foreign devices cannot be added to activate the door. For example you can't touch the two pushbutton wires together to activate the door...it will not move

Group Moderator

NJ

10-24-17, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Thanks for the update doorman.

~ Pete ~

NJ

10-24-17, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Thanks guys - but totally lost on this.

So say a plain-Jane Craftsman opener w/no MyQ.

Exactly what am I hooking up and how? How do I tie into the M1 and say a PC?

Search this Thread