Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Home Automation Systems and Devices
Reload this Page >

System to remote control main water valve? Read water flow and humidity sensor.

Old 06-26-18, 04:04 PM

Hi,

My water heater recently started leaking, and this could have been quite dammaging since I noticed it only a few hours after leaving my house for 3 days.

While I'll have a plumber here to install a new unit, I though it would be the right time to add some home automation controls for my water. I currently do not have an home automation system in place (other than Ubiquiti's mPorts that control my fireplace and garage door).

Here is what I have in mind:
1- The ability to remotely (via an app or a web page) shut off the main water valve to my home.

2- The ability to monitor in real time the water flow from my main valve. I suppose this could allow me to set alerts when water is flowing for more than 1h (and I am not watering the lawn... although this could be an indication that I forgot to stop it).

3- Some kind of humidity sensor that I could install next to my water heater tank (on the floor?) to sense if water is leaking.

With my new water tank I know I am unlikely to encounter this problem for the next 10 years, but I'd still like to see what is available with regards to those problems.

I would prefer a cloud-less solution. I can VPN into my home network from anywhere so I am ideally looking for something that works on its own - no connection to a remote server (but can run a docker container locally).

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-18, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Just Google water leak sensor and you'll start to see some options.

Old 07-11-18, 07:58 AM
There are z-wave water valves that you could install on your water main. I got this one on a really cheap deal but yet to install it, has to be plumbed in...
https://www.fortrezz.com/water-valves/

The Dome will clamp onto an existing ball valve and close it if sensors detect water, $100 or less on amazon...
https://domeha.com/z-wave-water-main-shut-off-valve

Other options:
https://home-automation.smarthome.co...=water%20valve

I use SmartThings which is mostly-cloud-based but there are some hubs that aren't.

Old 07-11-18, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
The Dome motorized valve operator is pretty cool.

Old 07-11-18, 09:36 AM
Ya, I wonder how well it would work though. In my experience ball valves are usually very hard to turn.

Old 07-11-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
I use an ASCO 3/4" 24vac valve for my system. It's soldered directly in the main line.

Old 07-11-18, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Lol!

I have a solution that is 100% fail safe and uses a minimal amount of energy.
Turn off the water main to the house or take it up a notch and just use a switch to close a solenoid when you leave.