Pairing smart plug to auto coffee maker

Old 11-01-18, 09:56 AM
Pairing smart plug to auto coffee maker

I just purchased a Amazon smart plug that is compatible with the Amazon Alexa dot. I was very excited with the thought of telling Alexa to start my coffee maker every morning. As usual I have a little hic-cup. It seems this will only work with a low end coffee makers with simple on/off toggle switches. My coffee maker is an automatic Cuisinart maker with the push "on" button. Auto off. I need my coffee maker to be in the on mode until the smart plug supplies power via Alexa Command. Is there a way to work around this problem? How complecated would it be to bypass the push button switch so the the CM would always be on but still have the auto off feature?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-18, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
You need a cheap, simple coffee maker that has a mechanical on/off switch. Something that can begin working when it's plugged in. Other than that it's an electronics project. Most modern devices are computer controlled. A tiny, simple computer but a computer nonetheless. The power switch is merely an input to the computer which tells it to begin the cycle.

Old 11-01-18, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately.... the coffee maker requires just a pulse to start the brewing.
Shorting the brew switch will not accomplish that.