Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Home Automation Systems and Devices
Reload this Page >

Ring pro video doorbell intergration with existing whole house intercom system

Old 01-01-19, 09:03 PM

Hello. Not sure if this has been posted here. Pardon me im a newbie in this forum. Im working on a project trying to replace my existing intercom door button and speaker with a ring pro video doorbell. We just moved into this single family house that has whole house intercom system (M&S MC602). I want to install the ring pro video doorbell in place of the existing doorbell button and speaker. I did some online research but instructions are always not clear on that part of the connection on the main board or master unit of the intercom system. I read on one post of an owner that the installer he hired used a 12vac relay but didnt work so he used a 24vac relay and connected to the transformer of his m&s system (model was not specified). My intercom has a transformer TE5B which has 120v input and two 16v output (dual output transformer?). In regards to the post of that owner, my question is: is it ok to use a 24vac relay to a 16vac transformer? I cant find somebody willing to give it a try to install it so i wanna give it a try but i wanna make sure that it is safe to use the 24vac relay on a 16vac tranformer. Your input is much appreciated.
If somebody here has already done the integration of their ring video doorbell with their intercom system, pls post your step by step guide in your comments. Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-19, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You just want the ring to make your intercom ring ?
The audio and video from the ring are not directly connectable to your Nutone system. Your Nutone requires an analog audio input. That's not available directly from the ring.

Old 01-02-19, 07:48 AM
Yes I just wanted the ring pro activate the chime of all the remote speakers of the intercom system. Thanks

Old 01-02-19, 07:26 PM
Anyone here has idea if its ok to use 24vac relay on a 16vac transformer? I tried searching answer on google but cant find an exact answer. Really need your help. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-02-19, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
The relay needs to be able to handle the voltage it's connected to. As long as the relay is sensitive enough.....a 24v relay will work on 16v.

The ring is normally connected with the chime in series. You could try using the relay as the chime. You'd need to use the ring power pro device across the relay.

Old 01-03-19, 11:40 PM
Thank you very much PJmax. That was very helpful. I went to bed late last night trying to plot the wiring connection. I was watching the youtube video and there was a diagram that was showed on the video. I thought it was very simple at first because you just need to insert the ring power module and ac relay in between the transformer and ring pro doorbell. Then while plotting the current set up of my intercom system comes the part that confuses me:

On the YouTube video:
From the transformer comes out 2 wires, 1 connects directly to the ring pro doorbell, the other wire connects to the ac relay. From the ac relay a wire connects to the ring pro doorbell to complete the circuit. In addition to that connection on the relay comes out 2 more wires (1 from common terminal and the other from normally open terminal) which will be both connected to the intercom chime module.

The problem in my current set up compared to the videos from youtube is, my intercon has a single tranformer with dual output of 16vac 37va. It is located in an enclosure on the bottom of the base station box. Pls check photos posted in imgur to explain myself better. Here is the link: issues i have in trying to integrate my ring pro doorbell to existing M&S intercom system https://imgur.com/gallery/kT6GCb3
Pls let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Old 01-04-19, 12:32 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention in your first post that you intended to use the intercom transformer to run the ring. You can use it. That should be ok.

Have you already confirmed that a relay closure will do what you want for your intercom ?

Old 01-04-19, 08:20 AM
Thanks. Not yet. Im planning to try the connection this weekend. Here are the links to the YouTube videos that i watched:
https://youtu.be/4ZFl6BRTQnA
https://youtu.be/hd68roYUDng
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mrCiSa91TUQ

as i mentioned earlier, their set up is a little bit different because of the 5 wires from the transformer of my intercom.

some photos of my intercom system:
m&s 602 doorbell button and speaker connection to master unit https://imgur.com/gallery/79V7R9E

Do you have any suggestion on where in the circuit should i insert the ac relay? Thanks

Old 01-04-19, 08:32 AM
I saw a picture post by one reddit member wherein the electrician he hired seemed to splice some wires from the transformer but he did not elaborate which wire connect to which.

https://imgur.com/Jber4TY

Old 01-04-19, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
In your diagram you show two reds, two blacks and a green from the transformer. I'm assuming that there are two more wires that go to 120vAC that you didn't mention. The two black wires is one output and the two red wires is the other output. If you measure the red set and the black set...... they should both be near 16vAC. Pick the pair with the higher voltage and use them. There is no polarity as this is AC.

In your diagram you show a pushbutton with two wires. I'd imagine those are the two wires you want the relay to short.

Old 01-06-19, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your input PJmax. I was busy all day yesterday and didnt sleep last night trying all possible connections that was mentioned in the YouTube videos but didnt work. It would ring the ring pro doorbell and activate the app notification on my phone but doesnt activate the intercom chimes. Was about to give up then decided to try the last possible connection in my mind, that is to power the ring video separately with a 24vac 40va transformer. I left that as last option because i was afraid it might fry my intercom and ring pro doorbell but decided to take the risk. It work worked like a charm. Its been working good the whole day and so far didnt have any issues.

Old 01-06-19, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
It can't fry your intercom. You are using a relay to isolate the Ring (and it's circuitry) from the intercom.
I thought you had tried the relay on 16v. You didn't and apparently it wouldn't work on 16v.

Old 01-07-19, 04:47 AM
I did try the 24vac relay on the 16v transformer. It didnt work. I tried hooking it up using the 2 black wires as you suggested, didn't work, tried the red pair didnt work, tried pairing the red and black still didnt work. So i decided to power the ring separately with a 24v transformer.

Thank you PJmax for your patience and effort in trying to help with my project. You're the only one that showed interest. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-07-19, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Good job. You're welcome.