Speaker and control terminations

Old 08-16-19, 07:47 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Speaker and control terminations

I am currently in the process of revisiting the hidden room in our house, and with that, the AV and automation items.
Right now Im looking at the A/V termination which was a throw together and needs to be cleaned up to accommodate the changes. The A/V termination includes 16 speaker outputs (the 3/32 Black ABS plate I fabricated), Network jacks and 3.5mm audio and 3.5mm IR extender ports, along with a few other termination lines.
The electronics in the photo include the IR extender on the wall (there is a receiver over all 3 tv locations, outputs currently only on Stereo receiver as NVR now in communications room), managed network switch, Raspberry Pi 3B as my Media center sending signal through the HDMI over TCP (black box left of RPI) and a Bluetooth receiver on bottom right of amp.
In case anyones wondering, the RPI is accessing the NAS in the communications room as well as streaming through OSMC image. The HDMI over TCP are network based multicast units, which allow for multiple receivers through the house. They work but have to be managed via VLAN to reduce the nasty traffic they generate.
Anyway, What Im looking for is some input and assistance in redoing the terminations in the wall. The ABS board works ok, but not great. It was one of those through togethers with what I had. I have not found anything close manufactured, and using the Keystone Jack setup like the network jacks would be crazy (16 speaker terminations, one banana jack per wire  32 ports).
Any suggestions for a better setup for the terminations?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-19, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Banana jacks/plugs are a little tough to work with. I have made some of my own rack mount panels.
If you're going to use the dual banana plugs to connect to the panel then you can use a close density panel like in the link. If you're going to connect bare wires..... you'll need more space.

Vadcon panels

Name:  db.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  5.0 KB

Old 08-16-19, 09:52 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
The component based jacks used in the existing panel permitted for bare wire or plugs. I used plugs to make life easier as the setup is so you can switch the setup arround from multiple 5.1-9.1 to whole room single setup if the function of the room changes. Currently its setup with entertainment at one side and workout room on the other (~28ft x 19ft room).
The issue with the plate in place now is its too flimsy to last, even with bracing behind it.
The wires behind that one area is pretty scary with all the speaker wires, Cat5e cables and 22g quad.