Inground Pool light w WeMo switch?

Old 08-24-19, 06:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inground Pool light w WeMo switch?

Trying to wire my inground pool light to a WeMo switch. The black is hot, the white was hooked to the other terminal on the switch (where the second black normally goes), bare was ground (obviously). Did they just run three wire to the switch inside the house and are using the white as the second black, and there's no neutral present? Or is this just a normal for a pool light setup with no second black, and if so, how do I wire in a WeMo switch?
I have installed WeMo at several other locations around the house, but all had 2 black wires + white and green/bare

Yes, if I touch the black and white together the light goes on.

Name:  pls.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  49.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-25-19 at 11:17 AM. Reason: resized picture
Old 08-25-19, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have what is called a switch loop. The white wire is hot to the switch and the black is switched hot back. You don't have a neutral wire at that location.

Name:  switchloop+.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  12.7 KB

Old 08-26-19, 05:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So without a N, wemo is out. Ext. Block construction, any timer switches that dont need a N and can stay on for 4 to 6 hrs?

Old 08-26-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
My "go to" timer..... Intermatic ST01AC. Requires no neutral. Uses an easily replaceable battery. A bit tricky to set but not too hard. Can be set for many different modes. Straight on and off same time every day. Can be set to change the time following the season. Batteries typically last 2.5-3 years. Comes in several colors. Prices vary from $35-45 so shop around. The depot may still carry them.

Intermatic ST01AC programming instructions (pdf)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: