TP-Link Kasa HS200 Light Switch - Need Help with Neutral Wires

Old 10-20-19, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TP-Link Kasa HS200 Light Switch - Need Help with Neutral Wires

This is a first for me so please donít judge. We just moved into a newly built home and I want to swap out a few light switches with the Kasa HS200 smart switch. So I thought I would start with the master bedroom, each bedroom has a three gang box with three switches. The first switch controls the recess lights and the other two switches are for the rough in (fan and light separately as Iím told by the builder) which are not currently being used. When I opened the three gang box I see the typical switch wires (ground and hots) however when I look in the back of the gang box for the neutrals I see two wire connectors with three neutrals (all six wires are gray) each. I was surprised to see two wire connectors; which neutrals do I tie into?

FYI - the entire gang box of three switches are on the same breaker. That breaker controls all my master bedroom lighting and master bathroom lighting. Thereís a seperate breaker for the master bedroom outlets.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-19, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure those aren't white wires..... maybe discolored. If they are gray you may have a conduit system in the house. If you are seeing bare ground wires..... then you have cables and those wires are white.

It's possible there are two neutral bundles connected together.
A picture would help clear up the issue...... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 10-20-19, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will upload pictures this week; I did mis speak above. I ďthinkĒ since I need to validate, that the gang box has three switches: 1) one for the recess lights that I want to replace, 2) one for the fan rough in, 3) one for an outlet (need to find which outlet this is hooked up to). The two bundles look like gray wires, Iíll upload pictures.