Ceiling fan/light

Old 06-06-01, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With my new house I inherited a ceiling fan that is already wired to a switch. The switch will turn the fan on the fan (and light if i have the switch that is on the light turned on). I want to be able to control them separately from a wall switch. How can I do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-01, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To control the fan and light separately from the wall switches , you will need 2 switches, which will likely involve extra wiring, which may involve, changing from a single electrical box to a double electrical box in the wall, and running a new wire between the switch and the ceiling fixture.

I assume you have 1 wall switch now (not 2 3-way switches to controll the same fixture from 2 different locations).

If you feel you would want to do that , I will need to know a couple of things...

1. At the box where the existing switch is , how many wire cables are entering the box, each cable should have a black.white/bare. Tell me the color of the wires actually connecte dto the switch.

2. At the ceiling location, how many wire cable are at that box, each cable should have a black/white/bare. If there is an additional wire red in any cable, let me know.

If you still want to go ahead and do this, then give me the answers to these questions and I can tell you how to wire it.