Tp-link Kasa HS210

Old 03-26-20, 11:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tp-link Kasa HS210

Guys I have just spent half a day trying to fault find an issue with my new kasa 3way switches. According to the app I only need one switch per circuit. However I seem to be loosing power when I switch the second switch (the dumb one). I have has some success connecting the switch to wifi but it is a bit hit or miss, WiFi signal is full strength. It seams like the second switch isolates the smart switch. The traveler wires have good continuity including the neutral. Everything seems right but I constantly get either the bulb flashing on and off every second or an isolated smart switch and the light on, powered by the dumb switch.

I'm switching five led bulbs 4.5w each total less than 25w.

i have also tried the second switch that was in the kit, but itís exactly the same.

any help much appreciated...

Regards Steven

Old 03-26-20, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
I greatly dislike companies that offer installation videos instead of actual wiring diagrams.
I DO NOT want to have to download an app to wire a switch.
I'm looking for an actual TP wiring diagram now.

I believe that switch needs to be installed at the powered end of the circuit.

On edit:
I've spent a half hour looking for a wiring diagram. That is absolutely ridiculous.
When you find one.... post the link for me.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-26-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-26-20, 07:34 PM
S
Ok So I fixed the issue, firstly I was at the power end of the circuit. One issue was that this was fed from the light fitting so the black and wight or power and neutral were backwards. Swapping these didnít help but at least they are correct now. What fixed it was swapping the switches neutral (which is there so the computer has a constant circuit) to the neighboring circuit neutral which was a true neutral not the feed to the light fitting. I was worried about earth leakage current trippin* the breakers, because I am effectively leaking current from one circuit to another. But it must be so small that it doesnít cause an issue.

lights are working... but I may not have many electrician friends anymore.

Regards Steven

Old 03-26-20, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry..... not following you.

It sounds like you intercepted a three way switch at the wrong end. The white and black were not hot and neutral but both hots. One switched and one not. I can tell you that using a neutral from a different circuit is against code. I have a feeling that the neutral is the same circuit.

In a three way circuit...... the white is not necessarily hot or neutral. It can be either.

Old 03-29-20, 09:30 AM
S
PJ i half agree with you, i understand the three way circuit clearly. in the two wall boxes there is the 'other' end of the switch which has a white, black & red wire. in the live end you have the same W, R & B plus a feed from the light fixture in the ceiling. the feed from the light fixture has the live and neutral flipped, i googled this and it seems normal, strange but normal. the problem is the live wire is live and the neutral then feeds the light. which is great. but this neutral wont do for the smart switch. the neutral to use has to come from the feed to the light fixture... if you can find it. otherwise you have to find one where you can. the wall box i opened had two light circuits, living room three way and kitchen. the three way may have been fed by the kitchen and there was an extra wire in there feeding something.

Old 03-29-20, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
i googled this and it seems normal, strange but normal.
Strange yes..... normal no.

When you have a three way circuit there are different wiring methods.
Feed and light in the same switch. Dead end switch at other end.
Feed in one end and light at the other end.
Feed at light and two switch lines. Both are dead end switches.

Since you have three wires between the switches...... you can change them to any function you want. You can move live power from one box to the other. You can move neutral to either box. With a smart switch..,.,. the slave switch either switches to neutral or hot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: