TpLink HS200 2 switches 2 gang install issue

Old 05-18-20, 08:05 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TpLink HS200 2 switches 2 gang install issue

I've already installed 5 individual HS200s in other areas. This set up is a little different. There used to be two regular switches here. 1 controlled a closet light and the other, a vanity light fixture. I tried installing, but the most I get is the bulbs and switched flashing on and off continuously. There are 3 sets of black, white, and copper ground wires up top and another set from the bottom. The bottom has the hot wire which used to be jumped from one switch to the next. I can't figure the rest out. Need help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-20, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Did you find all the white wires connected together ?
If yes..... connect them back together again.

You know which black wire is hot. Connect that to each of the three lines one at a time to see which one is which. You should find the two light wires. The third wire mostly feeds on to another area. This third wire will remain connected to the always live wire. You will connect one black wire from each switch to this same connection. You will have four black wires in the splice. The remaining black wire from each switch goes to the proper light. The two white wires from the switches go to the four white wire splice.

All ground wires are connected together.

Old 05-18-20, 08:52 PM
A
So with further trial and error, I got one to work. Issue now is the all 4 white wires (neutrals) were connected. If I joined the four with the new two switches, one would flash and the other wouldn't do anything. I separated the neutrals and joined only 3 of the 4 together (I have one from the closet light, one from the unknown set and one from the bottom set) and it works. How should I get the get the neutral to work for the remaining switch?

Old 05-18-20, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
You found the two black wires that went to the lights.
Did you find where the third black wire went ?

Old 05-18-20, 09:18 PM
A
I already knew which wires went to each light. Not sure about the third. Connecting the black wires to the smart switches was easy because I followed the setup of the previous switches. It's the neutrals that's the problem now. All 4 were tucked in the back. I pulled them out and they do well on one switch. I tried pigtailing all 4 plus the 2 neural wires from the new switches and the I got the continuous flash from one of the fixtures. I don't know if its possible to share the neutrals for the second switch or do I have to run new neutral wire?

Old 05-19-20, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
All neutral wires must be connected together.
Try this..... swap the two black wires to the lights to see what the blinking problem does.

I was trying to find out if you can use two switches next to each other. Didn't find any info on that.
Are you using two together in another location ?

Old 05-20-20, 11:36 AM
A
Thanks Pete. Problem solved. I started over and it worked this time. Connected all white wires back together and bingo. Maybe I had a poor connection of the neutrals on my first attempt. Not sure, but everything is fine. Also, I learned that the third set of wires operate my bathroom light. Thanks for your help and your patience.

Old 05-20-20, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  1.6 KB Thanks for letting us know how you made out.