Burn marks on Nest chime connector

Old 11-30-20, 04:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burn marks on Nest chime connector

About 2 weeks ago I installed the Nest doorbell and chime box connector. It was working fine, and then today I started hearing a loud buzz from the chime box. I assumed something got stuck & the circuit wasn't breaking, but the wires were hooked up fine. After being unable to fix it, I removed the chime connector & hooked up the chime box without it, and it still kept buzzing. Luckily I had taken a photo before hooking it up, and realized the problem is within the chime box itself - front solenoid became stuck in the down position (not sure why, and I cannot get it unstuck) - so I plan to just buy a new one. But then I noticed there are light brown marks on the chime connector, looks like for the few hours this happened it must've gotten very hot. Thank god we got home. But my concern now is did the chime connector get fried & is no longer useable? I suppose when I get back with the new chime box I'll find out, but given the above story - and this is a second home so I'm not there full time - I am concerned about fire safety around this connection, meaning if I don't understand why this happened it could just happen again. Timing is a bit coincidental that the solenoid just got stuck after I installed the chime connector. Any thoughts are very much welcomed.

Old 11-30-20, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,314 Votes on 1,214 Posts
The chime is not at fault.
The circuit is very basic but a mystery to most.

Looking at the diagram....... the transformer, the chime and the door bell camera are all in a series loop. With this setup the camera draws power thru the chime to charge it's battery. Some chimes are more sensitive to the charging current passing thru it and will hum or buzz. The two wire "adapter" they give you is nothing more than a resistor. Instead of all the charging current passing thru the chime..... some of it passes thru the adapter/resistor. This keeps the chime from making noise and charges the camera.

Your problem is a bad battery in the nest. The battery is drawing too much charging power and has burned that adapter/resistor. Now the chime will be buzzing loudly. With time..... the coil on the chime will burn and become shorted. If yours is still making noise..... it should be ok.

Contact nest. Not sure if they offer a battery swap or a camera swap. Depends on model.

Old 12-01-20, 08:35 AM
T
Hi Pete, thanks very much for your reply, it was helpful. I did talk to Google yesterday, and based on my description they are sending me a new chime connector. However based on your explanation it sounds like I should call them back and ask for a whole new doorbell mechanism. I will do that & see what they say. Again thanks for the feedback, otherwise sounds like they would have not solved the problem adequately.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 12-01-20, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
The adapter/resistor should not get that hot. Only the battery...... or the camera.... drawing too much current will cause that to burn like that. My guess is that the new adapter will get just as hot and fail.

Old 12-02-20, 03:05 PM
T
Pete, I responded to Google and repeated your point above. They said they understand but want to isolate the issue first, to make sure the problem is not the chime connector before they go further and replace the doorbell. My concern is if I replace the chime connector & it fails again as you suggest, is that a fire hazard?

Old 12-02-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Probably not a fire hazard. That module will get warm and discolor like yours did. If it got too hot the plastic case may melt more but not enough to cause a fire. I would leave the new adapter hanging in the air with the chime cover off for testing.

Old 12-03-20, 04:38 AM
T
Pete - Thanks very much again, this was very helpful advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: