Installation of Kasa 3-way light switch

Old 03-26-21, 10:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installation of Kasa 3-way light switch

I'm installing the Kasa HS210 3-way light switch to control the light of my ceiling fan. The problem is that I see four wires going into the existing light switch. I can identify the two traveler wires (red and black) at the bottom and common wire attached to the black screw; however, there is another black wire going into the pinhole next to common wire. What is that wire purpose and what do I do with it? In the attached screenshot, it's the switch on the right. The left is to an accent light. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-26-21, 12:10 PM
Received 94 Votes on 80 Posts
It looks like that wire in the backstab connection is an incoming power feed or the power feed to another light or receptacle. The wire that is looped around the common screw is also feeding power to the adjacent light switch. Those 3 wires should be connected together and to the Line wire of the dimmer with a wire nut.

The backstab connections on the other switch should also be moved to the screws.

Old 03-26-21, 09:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A little visual help.....

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 03-28-21, 12:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks John. I ended up connecting the wire from the backstab of the right switch to the screw in the left switch.

Old 03-28-21, 02:58 PM
Received 94 Votes on 80 Posts
All the backstab connections should go onto the appropriate screws. Backstabs can cause problems and fires.

If there are not enough screws to handle all the wires of each type that need to be connected, use pigtails on the screws and wire nut them together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: