Remote Home Automation Without Wifi

Old 04-11-21, 03:24 PM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
Remote Home Automation Without Wifi

I am seeking names of manufacturers of home remote control automation using land line phone service.

What I need is an "answering machine" that can report statuses and do electrical switching in response to commands from a calling party.

I wish to be able to monitor from a remote location room temperatures and to set thermostats and turn lights on and off (using a phone).

There is no private wifi service and router.
There is no PC that can be left booted and running 24/7.
There is no cable TV or satellite dish equipment.

Thanks,

Old 04-12-21, 06:18 AM
I
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
See globalmonitoring.com They still make what they call "terra" (POTS or landline) devices. A quick look at their website gives the impression that the equipment is commercial quality and - since they don't show any prices, probably very, very expensive.

I doubt that you'll find an off-the-shelf and inexpensive way to do this, since the market is so small.

Other options are to learn enough to design your own, or find a college kid to design and build it. Microprocessors will be involved.

Old 04-13-21, 04:51 AM
T
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
After a quick look at the site suggested by I Mullins, it appears they have what you want. However, I agree with I Mullins that it will most likely be "pricey"; The literature looks to be targeted to industrial and commercial users.

And let me add a caveat to having something custom designed and built; probably nobody else will be able to work on it. Case in point: Forty years ago I would build pretty simple interface circuits tailored to a customer's wants. That is until I found that, despite the documentation I wrote, none of my employees seemed to be able to troubleshoot them.

Best to stick with "off the shelf" stuff.

Old 04-13-21, 06:48 PM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
Thanks. I will be staying with off the shelf stuff. Don't want to design and build circuit boards. Don't want to design and write code (software).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: