Trying to open garage door by WIFI

Old 07-19-22, 03:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to open garage door by WIFI

I am trying to open a garage door with WIFI. My mother-in-law needs help and am looking to have the people come in through the garage door. There is a single push button that already opens the garage door. Would there be a simple way of just being able to attach a product to trigger the door to open and close? I am trying to work with 4 of her kids to help as much as I can.

Old 07-20-22, 01:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
Need a hub.

Does she have Alexa ?
wifi garage door controller

She MUST have blockage sensors as door can be closed without being there.

Old 07-20-22, 05:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Without Alexa there are still a lot of wifi garage door controllers available.

Old 07-20-22, 08:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Thank you.

Old 01-12-23, 11:23 AM
L
If your mother-in-law has WIFI in her home, you could always use a Gosund outlet plug controlled over your smartphone. Plug the Gosund into 120V and power a 120V relay into the output whose dry contacts are across the pushbutton contacts. Gosund plugs are only $6-$8 each on Amazon, I have about 12 of them deployed in my home.

Amazon.com: Mini Smart Plug, Wi-Fi Outlet Socket Works with Alexa and Google Home, Remote Control with Timer Function, No Hub Required, ETL FCC Listed (4 Pack),White : Industrial & Scientific

Old 01-12-23, 01:40 PM
H
Received 275 Upvotes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by BOB1934
My mother-in-law needs help and am looking to have the people come in through the garage door.
Ok, speaking as a Realtor for almost 30 years- I'd say the simplest solution would be to put a lock on the garage -to house door and invest $14 in a big-box hardware store combination keybox to store that key.

Originally Posted by BOB1934
I am trying to open a garage door with WIFI.
Is there some reason you want WiFi? Because that would either require giving the helpers the WiFi SSID & password, OR would require family to be close enough to use WiFi (in which case they could simply walk 100-feet and open the door with a standard key?!

Question 1- Why have the help come in through the garage door instead of the front door? Are the help going to be excluded from access to certain portions of the house? Why is there a preference about the entrance?

Question 2- Would it be preferable to have a remote 'you contact ME, then I can open the door' sort of setup where multiple people /family can allow access?

Old 01-12-23, 05:22 PM
T
Received 141 Upvotes on 123 Posts
It may depend on the brand and model of the GDO. On newer GDOs the switches are NOT like the old style that just provide momentary continuity. Instead, they actually produce coded multiplex signals for the various functions. So, you have to have the right switch from the manufacturer of the GDO. Even if you get the simple doorbell looking switch it has to have the circuit board that makes the open and close signals.

Old 01-12-23, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
I'd imagine this has been taking care of as it's six months old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: